Abbery Milhouse-cunningham's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

bookshelves: race-textset

This book contains the poem, "My People", by Harlem Renaissance poet, Langston Hughes. Langston Hughes is known as one of the greatest African American poets, and he is a literary pioneer. The main function of his poem is to highlight the beauty of the African American race. Lines, such as "The night is beautiful, So the faces of my people", clearly depicts that this an encouragement piece. Also this poem is a form of weaponry, because during the Harlem Renaissance, it took courage to voice an opinion. As a literacy teacher, I can use this piece to illustrate the importance and the power of words. I will encourage my students to fight for racial and social justice. This book also introduces various literary time periods that should be discussed, so that students could see how literature has evolved over the years. Not only does this book contain beautiful lyrics, the photos are vivid, dark, and powerful. The photos portray the color black in a nontraditional way. Black is usually viewed are negative, unwanted, and evil. However, the pictures tell a completely different story. The photographer, Charles Smith Jr., took the pictures and published the pictures in black, gray, and brown. He also incorporated a diverse group of African Americans to photographed. Each and every person he photographed looks different; however, a sense of unity that is present.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Finished Reading