Wendy's Reviews > To Sin with Scandal

To Sin with Scandal by Tamara Gill

Good, quick read that's the perfect length (no pun intended) when you're distracting yourself from things you're supposed to be doing but aren't. I thought the writing was well-paced, I liked Miranda's character--I can't say I would have disagreed with her choices at the age she made them. Merrick makes his case logically later on, but he's the only one who knows all the facts, therefore the only one who knows the truth of his side. But then, as they both see themselves as the injured party, as seems to happen often in these situations (and what makes the difference of opinions so interesting--they are often justified from each person's perspective). I hope that isn't a spolier. I like that mispelling. Is that the French version of a spoiler? It sounds like something more to do with mushrooms, actually. No mushrooms in the story. If they had started talking mycology, I think it would have been something more...steampunky.

I also thought Miranda's experience in her marriage would not have been unusual for a woman in the early 1800's (or at any time?)-- providing the bread and butter for men in Merrick's...um...career? Is that something one decides as a child? "Mummy, I want to be a rake when I grow up.""That's nice, dear." And mothers everywhere despaired of their sons growing up to become gardening implements. Calling them plows would have been a bit too obvious.

I will say that taking the break to read this has greatly improved my mood, so thank you, Ms. Gill. It was very nice to see a woman know what she wants and forge ahead. Full steam ahead. That can be taken any way one prefers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Sin with Scandal.

October 22, 2013 – Started Reading