B.A. Wilson's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

24206425

bookshelves: mg, ya, sci-fi

Yes, I finally read this classic sci-fi and enjoyed it. The plot is strong, and there's an excellent twist that caught me by surprise. The world is fascinating and complex. I struggled at times to get a full picture of the battle scenes in my head, but the war strategies were definitely interesting. I appreciated the contrast and similarities between Ender, his sister, and his brother, as that added some depth to the story.

The reason I gave this 4 stars, instead of 5, is that the voice was off for me. I understand Ender is super smart, but his thoughts and dialogue never matched his developmental age, which has nothing to do with intelligence (yes, my inner-educator is showing).

At first, this wasn't a problem, because based on his behaviors, thoughts, and dialogue (and even those of his supposedly less intelligent peers), I assumed he was significantly older than he actually was. I also assumed the same of his classmates. Then, when I found out their actual ages, my brain immediately revolted at the disconnect.

Despite that, I would have easily shrugged it off if the author hadn't continually reminded me about Ender's young age. I think the constant reminders made it harder for me to let go of that disconnect and stay focused on just enjoying the story for what it is. I think the best solution, if you are sensitive to voice, is to ensure you suspend disbelief in this area, which I obviously struggled with. Despite that, I still really enjoyed this story and am happy that I read it.

Book 63 in 2018

Pages: 324

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

October 22, 2013 – Shelved