Laura de Leon's Reviews > In Tongues of the Dead

In Tongues of the Dead by Brad Kelln

2013736

liked it
bookshelves: review-copy, thriller

I enjoyed the story of In Tongues of the Dead, but the writing style didn’t entirely work for me.

As an aside, I found it odd to read this book after reading Hush Hush and Fallen, two recent YA books featuring fallen angels, which appears to be a trendy topic in the genre. In Tongues of the Dead is a very different style of book, but I did keep flashing back to the other two simply due to the shared mythology they pulled from.

In Tongues of the Dead has much more in common with The Da Vinci Code, with action and chases and puzzles and high ranking officials in the Catholic Church that will do absolutely anything to protect their secrets. The adventure was well executed, and both the action and the puzzles kept me involved in the story.

I liked the characters, and wished they’d been a little more fully realized, so that I could have gotten to know them better. I found the pieces I did have of them (past and present) to be teasers, making me want more.

The down side of this book for me was the writing. As I frequently state on this blog, what I want from writing is for it to deliver the story and stay out of my way. I kept being distracted by the words themselves, which seemed a little stilted, and kept the story from flowing cleanly.

Overall, I still enjoyed In Tongues of the Dead, even while recognizing potential areas of improvement.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Tongues of the Dead.

October 16, 2009 – Shelved