Kelly's Reviews > The Sweet Far Thing

Oct 15, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: teen
Read in January, 2010

Huge disappointment! The first two novels weren't anything spectacular, but I still enjoyed them. This novel, on the other hand, was torture, interlaced with only a few good scenes.

Gemma was so manipulative and immature in this book that I wanted to throw the book across the room. Felicity and Ann haven't changed since book one. Pippa was interesting, but her whole story was predictable, so much so that it drove me crazy that Gemma didn't see it coming. Kartik--sigh, I don't even want to talk about how much Bray ruined his role at the end. And speaking of the end, the final few chapters were remarkably similar to the final scenes of the movie Titanic. Oh yes, I do believe her heart will go on.

You would think the writing of this book, being the third in the trilogy, would be the best, but it isn't. It reminds me of a first time writer who has no idea how to control plot. The book was far too long, the plot was far too complicated and chaotic-- I mean, the third book should wrap things up, not introduce as many new things as this one did.

And yes, their corsets are strangling them, their voices are being lost--we get it. The whole "woman's rights" theme would be much stronger if it was blurted out on every other page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Far Thing.

01/01/2010 page 349