Leslie Reese's Reviews > The Goldfinch

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

So Donna Tartt is an excellent storyteller and The Goldfinch is an ambitious craft undertaking of sensitivity, storyline, research into things like art history and antiques and for the first 600 pages it feels very true even in its unexpected choices. After a point though it just felt as if Tartt said I’ve got to finish this book; I’ve got to wrap up this tale. And because she IS skillful and mindful in the task of bringing this book to a close the reader is kind of obliged to accept Tartt’s choices. The story DID NOT become less riveting or interesting; but seems like a hurried crush of research, residual prose composition, and outlandish intrigue that wasn’t allowed to hatch with the same flow as the first 500 pages. It’s a great read and won’t disappoint. I am mostly acknowledging how the tone and pace and color of the story and its characters changed [for me]at a certain point in the book. I look forward to reading others’ perceptions. I enjoyed the details that made me feel New York City from Theo’s perspective; I loved Hobie’s character; I was intrigued, disturbed, and dismayed to learn about excessive drug usage from this demographic. And in earlier parts of the book I found more touching nuanced details describing emotional affinity between mother and son or two young children whom others have marked ‘outcast’. My first time reading Donna Tartt’s work and now I want to go back and read The Secret History.

One mysterious aspect of this book is that it is written from the perspective of someone who spends so much time being in “altered states” due to pills, cocaine, heroin, and alcohol---yet, as a reader I have to trust his perceptions of everything. In my real life as a person of a certain age and experience I would not trust the perceptions of a person who spends most of his time avoiding reality to tell me a so-called true story! The same holds true for other characters within the last 200 pages----suddenly everyone is articulate and eloquent about life’s big questions!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goldfinch.

October 22, 2013 – Shelved