Cam's Reviews > The Flame and the Flower

The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Oct 15, 2009

Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I'm only about 2 chapters in and the innocent heroine Heather who was too naive to realize her cousin for the lecherous toad that he was escapes from his attempted rape only to be mistaken for a high class whore and raped by the 'hero' Brandon. Really? It doesn't matter that she went from being raped by a fat relative to a hot pirate, she was still raped and he doesn't even show remorse- only mildly intrigued. Now he wants to 'keep' her as his mistress because she's "too much of a prize to let go". He's got a LOT of making up to do in the rest of this novel.

* a little past half of the novel* I guess Woodwiss had Brandon suffer for his unapologetic rape at the beginning by not getting any on a ship for about 3 months while being tortured with Heather's (often half-clad) body in close proximity. Though I appreciate the restraint of his not touching her it wasn't because he was sorry for what he did at the beginning, in fact it seems he thought that well justified seeing as they "just got to port" that day and was impliedly very horny, he didn't touch her out of pride because he yelled that he wouldn't. He wouldn't because he was blackmailed into marriage she would be treated no more than a servant -although his actions are very much to the contrary.

The development of his feelings for Heather is plain for the readers to see which is lovely but Brandon is confused and sexually frustrated to see it lol

The internal dialogue throws me off a couple of seconds whenever I come across one since they're not italicized as is usual but other than that the writing is quite good and I can't help but want to read more.

Brandon's he-man attitude is irritating though and he often forgets his wife's condition and how she got like than in the first place, he might not hit women but his words are often cutting and insensitive; one of the hardest heroes to like that I've ever come across.

**finished**

Ok, I get why it's a romance classic, though Woodwiss did take a risk there by having the hero rape the heroine in the first few pages. Luckily I wanted to see Brandon redeem himself and that he did. I'm not sure but I think the language and dialogue got more flowery towards the end, which was a little corny but understandable considering when it was written and the setting of the period.

4 1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flame and the Flower.

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel Brooker Re: Not italicizing internal dialogue, the way I learned it back in high school English class in the 1970s, the decade that TFATF was published, was that you didn't italicize or use quotation marks. So the "lack" of italics you note is actually consistent with accepted English grammar and usage of the time....just my two cents here, thank you.

message 2: by Cam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cam cheers, thanks for that little tidbit