Rachmi 's Reviews > Fateful

Fateful by Claudia Gray

bookshelves: paranormal, romance

Before:

I have this book for a while but always skip it to read another books. The blurb quite interesting but I don't feel I want to read it soon since its setting is based on original story. Who is in this earth never heard of Titanic? So I was kind of feel there will be nothing new in it moreover it's about werewolves. One of paranormal themes that is quite popular now. Those reasons make it less appealing to me, though it has a very good rating here. But I finally picked it up for the sake of reading challenge.

After:

At the beginning of the story, I was less impressed by Tess Davies, the main character and the narrator of the story. I think she's a bit too chatty for my taste and quite noisy in the monologue. She seems rather talks about herself than describe the worldbuiling to me. But, its fast-paced make me look forward for her adventure. It's like her servant description is enough as the introduction and allow the main story to take the center stage from chapter one. However, I didn't feel it loses pace for detail and description, as I often read in not-so-good fast-paced stories. Tess’s voice is so clear I can feel the atmosphere of how life in early 1900s was and her role as a servant. The more I read it the more I want to know it.

There are barely surprises in it yet it can still make my heart beats fast. The hide and seek between Tess and Mikhail, the antagonist, is so good, in some part I really wanted to scream at her to run away and seek help. Knowing when Titanic will sink make it worse (in a good way, of course) it's like I was counting for the worse to happen to Tess and Alec and told them that nothing is matter at April 15th. And when it happened, I thought I won't have problem reading it since I've watched Titanic by James Cameron countless times, but then once again I was wrong. I can still feel it, the sadness and hopeless that Tess and other characters feel.

As for the romance, I love the way Tess and Alec build their relationship. It surely is an insta-love but the one that I can say as my exception since I'm not an insta-love fan. Although they build it slowly in a short time if it is possible, they relationship feels natural and believable to me. They both have strong-will to face their problem and have each other back I think that's what I like most about them.

In the end I think I should thank to the reading challenge for 'forced' me to read it. I loved and enjoyed it very much. It's definitely one of my favorite YA werewolves stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fateful.

October 21, 2013 – Started Reading
October 21, 2013 – Shelved
October 22, 2013 –
page 232
70.73% "Nobody else will ever be able to save me if I’m not fighting as hard as I can to save myself."
October 22, 2013 – Finished Reading
October 24, 2013 – Shelved as: paranormal
October 30, 2013 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Greta (new)

Greta Yay! Glad the challenge helped u find a good book.

Rachmi One of the perks join reading challenge is reading books I've already had but somehow never read it. Just like this book. So yeah....I always look for for the next reading challenge :D