Lisa Creane's Reviews > The Untamed MacKenzie

The Untamed MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley

liked it
bookshelves: england-historical-fiction, romance

** spoiler alert ** Inspector Fellowes faces a lot of ethical dilemmas in the story, along the lines of whether the ends justifies the means. He says yes, but it seems the decision should be more of a problem for him, given how staunchly uncorrupt he is. (view spoiler)

Here's where I wonder about the differences between novels and novellas. My understanding was that novellas had a smaller cast of characters, and a less conflicted hero and heroine. Some readers hate the drawn-out nature of full-length romance, and like the story being simpler and compact.

But the Mackenzie crew all has to get involved, and there's a murder mystery to solve, so the cast of characters here is a few dozen broad. And Louisa and Lloyd both do a bunch of semi-crazy things that make me think an Ashley novella is simply one where we don't get the inside scoop as to why anything is happening.

So...not my favorite. I liked the characters, and I always love spending time with the Mackenzies. Ashley is a productive writer, and that's always good news for fans who like her writing like me. But the flip side of being prolific is sometimes not waiting until the story kinks are all worked out. Not the fun ones--the annoying ones. There were a few of those here and it made the story less enjoyable than others in the series for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Untamed MacKenzie.

October 19, 2013 – Started Reading