Writtenwyrdd's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Oct 15, 2009

bookshelves: female-protagonist, fantasy-of-manners, humor-parody, paranormal-romance, steampunk, zombies, vampire, werewolf-shapeshifter
Read in October, 2009

picked this book up (via Amazon) because the cover was so interesting, and the line, "a novel of vampires,werewolves, and parasols" had me at hello. Very intriguing. And what I discovered was something with the humorous romantic an social sensibilities of Georgette Heyer in her Regency romances or Jane Austen's wit. Combine that comedy of manners social with and humor with a paranormal jaunt into a steampunk Victorian Britain , and I was caught like the proverbial fly in amber.

This book is funny, has a nice romantic plot, a great mystery to solve (where are these tackily dressed new vampires coming from?) and, best of all, stars the intrepid Miss Tarabotti who wields her trusty parasol with aplomb. I. Freaking. Loved. It.

Not sure if this book is for the gents, but if you like romances, this is a good one. I can see this sort of book making a niche for itself alongside urban fantasy. So watch for the copycats!

Seriously, this might be the start of a new subgenre.

The only flaw I could find is that the pov is omniscient, and while it is done really well and did not bother me in the least, it may feel like head-hopping (going from one character's point of view to anothers abruptly and within the same scene) and thus put off some readers. However, it is done flawlessly. So the pov wasn't a big deal to me, although I did notice it, because omniscient pov is sadly out of fashion these days. It fits right in with the style of the book, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.