Magda's Reviews > Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Oct 15, 2009

bookshelves: historicalfiction, romance
Read in October, 2009

It's been a while since I read for five and a half hours straight.

p. 27: "The trivia lay twelve layers deep in spots, yet the Reverend had always been able to set his hand unerringly on the bit he wanted. Roger thought that the wall must have been organized according to some underlying principle so subtle that not even American NASA scientists could discern it." ... Reminds me of the desk of my father... an American NASA scientist.

p. 352: "... I found myself thinking that I had always heretofore assumed that the tendency of eighteenth-century ladies to swoon was due to tight stays; now I rather thought it might be due to the idiocy of eighteenth-century men."

p. 515: "This wasn't a cottar or a herder that stood before him. Not a nameless subject, whose duty was to fight for the Stuart cause. This was a friend. And I thought that perhaps Jamie's wound had suddenly brought it home to him; that blood was shed on his order, men wounded for hiscause—little wonder if the realization struck him, deep as a sword-cut. He looked at Jamie's side for a long moment, then looked up to meet his eyes. He grasped Jamie by the hand, and bowed his own head. "Thank you," he said softly. And just for that one moment, I thought perhaps he might have made a king, after all." ... This passage brought to mind the Passion and Crucifixion.

I'm kinda tired of reading all the coital parts. More than half could be taken out and it would still meet the requirements of a "romance novel." It's just a bit tiresome after a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonfly in Amber.