Angel Gelique's Reviews > The Bad Box

The Bad Box by Harvey Click

This is the best horror story I've read in a long while. Review to come....

-----

WOW! When I start a review with "wow," you can be sure that I thoroughly enjoyed the book! This one had it all--excellent writing, a unique and imaginative storyline, suspense, action, adventure, mystery, horror and gore.

I was immediately drawn into this incredible story as I met the mysterious young Angel, a little girl who emerges from some sort of underground dwelling. My curiosity was instantly piqued. Who is she? Where did she come from? Why is she alone? Who is her strange older male friend, the one she calls Baby Beddybye? I would have to wait a bit for the answers.

In the meantime, I found myself immersed in the life of Sarah Temple, who recently left her abusive boyfriend, college professor Peter Bellman. Sarah is now living in a dirty little apartment within a shady area amidst some peculiar neighbors. When Peter's attempt at reconciliation fails miserably, the inebriated man decides to be spiteful by hooking up with Sarah's attractive (but largely reclusive) neighbor. Sarah is greatly annoyed by his shameful behavior, but somewhat concerned after days pass without him leaving the woman's apartment. When he finally emerges, he is a strange new man.

With the help of a mutual friend, Sarah begins investigating the bizarre encounter. What she discovers will endanger her life, plunging her deep into a supernatural/occult nightmare.

I truly savored this amazing, original story. The characters are all well-developed and believable. The writing is brilliant, with such rich descriptive language and imagery. Here's a small sample:

"A stench of damp dirt and worms and fungus and rotting animals belched up from the dark bowels."
"Where Baby walked, a trail of hallucinations followed in his wake, as if he warped the texture of reality around him."

My review doesn't do this book justice. All I can add is this: If you're a fan of horror, do yourself a favor and read this awesome book. With Halloween just around the corner, you can't go wrong with this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Box.

October 20, 2013 – Shelved
October 20, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 15, 2016 – Started Reading
August 15, 2016 –
6.0% "This one is intriguing so far."
August 23, 2016 –
34.0% "I'm savoring this story...like a fine wine. It's really good!"
September 1, 2016 –
60.0% "Such an awesome book!"
September 8, 2016 –
September 16, 2016 – Shelved as: supernatural
September 16, 2016 – Shelved as: supernatural-horror
September 16, 2016 – Shelved as: unique-story
September 16, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Carol Kean Ditto that (and see my own review of this great book): WOW! When I start a review with "wow," you can be sure that ...This one had it all--excellent writing, a unique and imaginative storyline, suspense, action, adventure, mystery, horror and gore." I hesitate to say I "enjoyed" it -- to appreciate, admire, and be awed by a writer is one thing, but to 'enjoy" the brutal torments and tragedies - well, I'm off to find the one word that might better express it. Thanks for the review - I'm now following yours here at goodreads!

Carol Kean P.S. did you click on the "share" icon to share links to your review at Twitter, Facebook, wherever? Please do!

message 3: by Rose (last edited Sep 22, 2016 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose De Your review, Angel, is exceptionally well written and does a fine job of describing this superb novel. Will you be posting at Amazon? Potential readers will benefit from your very detailed review.

Angel Gelique Carol wrote: "Ditto that (and see my own review of this great book): WOW! When I start a review with "wow," you can be sure that ...This one had it all--excellent writing, a unique and imaginative storyline, sus..."

Thank you, Carol. Your review is so great and thorough. I'll be following your reviews as well!
If you can believe it, I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account! But I will do my best to spread the word about this amazing book.

Angel Gelique Rose wrote: "Your review, Angel, is exceptionally well written and does a fine job of describing this superb novel. Will you be posting at Amazon? Potential readers will benefit from your very detailed review."

Thank you so much, Rose. I will definitely post my review to Amazon so that it can, hopefully, sway readers to give the book a try.

Randy I'm about 75% into this and it is tripping me out. I think The Shining was the last book I can recall that put me on edge when I wasn't reading it - it just carried itself over into my real life. This one is doing the same :-)

Angel Gelique It's such an incredible story. I look forward to reading your review.

Rose De I'm eager to read Randy's review as well.