Shurrn's Reviews > Lover Mine

Lover Mine by J.R. Ward

My sweet John Matthew finally gets his own book - and the result was romance, heartbreak, action, suspense... and a dash destiny...
The essential truth of life, he was coming to realize, wasn't romantic and took only two words to label: Shit. Happens.
But the thing was, you kept going. You kept your friends and your family and your mate as safe as you were able. And you kept fighting even after you were knocked down.
I have a tendency to become overly-attached to fictional characters; John Matthew is definitely in that category. I've watched him grow - literally and figuratively - over the course of this series, and while I was incredibly excited for him to get his own book, I was also nervous as hell... What was going to happen to John Matthew?

All I could do was sit back, let J.R. Ward take me on a wild ride, and cross my fingers that everything would turn out OK for a character I've come to adore.

JOHN MATTHEW
“No, you've got it all wrong, John." Reading his emotions, she shook her head. "You're not half the male you could be because of what was done to you. You're twice what anyone else is because you survived.”
My sweet (not so little any more) John... Readers of the BDB Series watched him grow up and struggle to overcome the tragic circumstances of his past... The lost, scrawny, scared orphan managed to secure a place in my heart and it's been amazing to watch his story progress.

All of the characters seem destined to hit rock-bottom right before they're given their own book. John was spiraling out of control in the wake of Tohr's return to the Brotherhood, and the epic failure of the pseudo-relationship with Xhex. Even before John's transition, he was helplessly enamored with the female head of security at ZeroSum... When Xhex was kidnapped by Lash at the end of Lover Avenged, John completely lost it.

XHEX
There was no way to comfort the lost boy he'd been back then.
But she had the grown male.
She had him right in her arms, and for a brief moment of whimsy, she imagined that she was never, ever going to let him go.
I was worried about pairing John up with the infamous Sympath badass female known as Xhex... John had been through so much tragedy in his life, and Xhex didn't seem to have nurturing bone in her body... Turns out, Xhex is a perfect match for John, and she proves her worth over the course of this book.

On a side note: We saw how lethal Xhex can be in Lover Avenged, but she really spread her wings in this book. The female is a fighter with skills that will make your jaw drop. She's simply incredible. In a series which has become hit-or-miss with its female characters, I was hugely impressed with Xhex!
“You don't go after what's mine. Now be a good boy and gut yourself."

The overall pacing of this book was AMAZING. J.R. Ward likes to weave multiple story-lines together, but never has that been as beautifully accomplished as in Lover Mine.

The side-stories and flashbacks coalesced in a way which was both seamless and satisfying.

John's connection to Darius was explored through the pages of the Brother's diary - and included insight into multiple characters of the series including Tohr and Wrath - as well as a few others which were a surprise right up until the reveal.

BLAYLOCK & QHUINN
I miss you. I miss you so fucking bad it hurts, but I don't know how to find you even though you're right in front of me.
I ache for these two... Their story has been progressing over the last several books in the series and I am eager to see them find their Happily Ever After together... Honestly, I'm so invested in Blay & Qhuinn, that I'm not particularly interested in reading Lover Unleashed (Payne's Story) - I just want to skip straight to Lover At Last... But I'm a good little girl, and I'll read everything in order... Even if the anticipation is killing me...

My Other Reviews in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series:

10. Lover Reborn - My Review
11. Lover At Last - My Review
12. The King - My Review
13. The Shadows - My Review

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Father Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6.5) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) by J.R. Ward Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12) by J.R. Ward The Shadows (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #13) by J.R. Ward

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Mine.

Quotes Shurrn Liked

J.R. Ward
“The deadweight of his body,coupled with the aches, made him remember back to a time when he'd gotten colds or flus. Same feeling. Was it possible he was getting sick?

Made him wonder if anyone had come up with a product like Dead-quil or some shit.

Probably not.”

J.R. Ward
“You never knew the last time you were seeing someone. You didn't know when the last argument happened, or the last time you had sex, or the last time you looked into their eyes and thanked God they were in your life.
After they were gone?
That was all you thought about.
Day and night.”

J.R. Ward
“Some things are destined to be -- it just takes us a couple of tries
to get there.”

me.

J.R. Ward
“And speaking of on board, she'd moved into John's room properly. In his closet, her leathers and her muscles shirts were hanging next to his, and their shitkickers were lined up together, and all her knives and her guns and her little toys were now locked up in his fire proof cabinet. Their ammo was even stacked together. How frickin' romantic.”

J.R. Ward
“Okay, okay, okay … go to your corners, boys. This is a nice Aubusson carpet you’re standing on. You get blood on it and I’ll have Fritz so far up my ass I’ll be coughing on his hankie.”

J.R. Ward
“Tohr: "Doesn't have to be easy to be right."
John: "In that case, we're meant for each other.”

J.R. Ward
“You don't go after what's mine. Now be a good boy and gut yourself." -Xhex, Lover Mine.”

October 19, 2013 – Shelved
June 30, 2014 – Started Reading
July 1, 2014 –
page 1
0.19% "That moment when your favorite character in a series gets their own book:\n \n "
July 3, 2014 –
0.0% "I was getting distracted by the constant mention of Brand Names, so while reading Lover Avenged, I wrote down all (over 150) the brands mentioned - I finally compiled all their logos into a post/rant - Enjoy! http://smutsonian.com/2014/07/03/j-r-... \n "
July 6, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by BarbaraM (new)

BarbaraM I stopped reading right before this book. I wasn't sure I wanted to read about John. Maybe I'll give it a try.

message 2: by Jessi (new) - added it

Jessi Wonderful review Shurrn. :)

Shurrn BarbaraM wrote: "I stopped reading right before this book. I wasn't sure I wanted to read about John. Maybe I'll give it a try."

I feel the same way about the next book... I guess that's the good thing about this series: The story might focus on one character/couple, but there are a lot of side-stories going on simultaneously...

Shurrn Jessi wrote: "Wonderful review Shurrn. :)"

message 5: by Jae (new)

Jae Jaggart Great review! Must admit though, Zsadist or Rehv are the ones for me, Zsadist most of all … but I too am addicted to the BDB series:)

Shurrn Jae wrote: "Great review! Must admit though, Zsadist or Rehv are the ones for me, Zsadist most of all … but I too am addicted to the BDB series:)"

Zsadist has had the best book so far IMHO... addiction to the BDB is a pretty awesome vice to have. I still have the rest of the series on my shelf, I can't wait to get back to it!

message 7: by Jae (new)

Jae Jaggart Shurrn wrote: "Jae wrote: "Great review! Must admit though, Zsadist or Rehv are the ones for me, Zsadist most of all … but I too am addicted to the BDB series:)"

Zsadist has had the best book so far IMHO... addi..."

Most definitely! That one really caught something special, a heartbreaker :)