Feminista's Reviews > Hard to Handle

Oct 19, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary-romance, arc

Rating: 2 out of 5.

Sadie Howard is a serial dater who never goes out with a guy on more than one date, but then sometimes she breaks her rules... Aiden Downey found out that his mother was dying and even though he was in a relationship with Sadie, he decided to act as if he was still married to his ex-wife so that his mother wouldn't worry.

This just wasn't the book for me.

I found the hero and heroine a bit childish. For example, if the heroine did something the hero would be amused. Firstly, I didn’t find any of the situations he was smiling for, funny. There was this part where he tells this guy that they are married. I mean, hello, just dating would suffice or boyfriend at most. And then he finds it funny when she gets irritated by what he did. Also, the heroine would stamp around and secretly watch the hero and all I could think was, honestly, if you are that into him, just get with him already! There are times when I enjoy such chase and sullenness, but that wasn’t the case for this book.

I also didn’t like how most of the writing was about how attractive one found the other. It made me feel like the hero’s apology was too lust-related. Yes it is good that they find one another attractive, but so much description watered down the sincerity of their ‘love’ for one another.

Also, if the hero was that upset that he had lost the heroine, then why wasn’t he doggedly pursuing her? Not only did a year pass after his mother’s death, but after the wedding scene he lets her go on her own way knowing that she loved him. I didn’t think the hero grovelled enough…

(view spoiler)

Having said that, I understand that some contemporary romance readers might like this book, so give it a go!

ARC Courtesy of NetGalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard to Handle.

October 19, 2013 – Shelved
October 19, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
October 19, 2013 – Shelved as: arc
Started Reading
October 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Well said, Nab! I didn't mind this author's first book (3.5 stars) but think I'll pass here.

Feminista Thanks Jill!

I haven't read the first book in the series. This was my first book by this author.