Liadra's Reviews > Scar

Scar by Ryan Frawley

liked it
bookshelves: 2014

There are some things I really loved about this book.. and things I didn't like so much at all..

In places, the writing is exquisite. The turns of phrase and descriptions are very well done - at times delicate and elusive, and dark and harsh at others. But always well done. The narrative is terribly complex and interwoven quite well. There's a wonderful mix of mythology, symbolism, psychology, and story. All the things I absolutely love about a novel...

But there were things I didn't like so well at all. There was extensive use of font and footnotes that was distracting. I understand what the author was trying to do with them, and I appreciate what was trying to be wrought, but I'm not entirely certain how well it worked. I found myself glossing over many of the more innovative parts, pretty much making them irrelevant. As for the footnotes, they wavered between on point and professional (as they are ostensibly done by an attending psychiatrist) and totally familiar and crass. The best I could make of it was that at some point the reader is meant to question if the actual subject of the novel is Dermot at all.. if it isn't actually the author of the footnotes who is the patient. In which case the novel succeeds and fails by turns.

There were other aspects that distracted, but these suffice. For all this, though, the underlying story was interesting and enough that I finished the book. Would I recommend it to the casual reader? Probably not. The select few? Likely.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scar.

October 19, 2013 – Shelved