Erma Odrach's Reviews > Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools: Tuck into a Slice of Andalucían Life

Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools by Victoria Twead

Oct 14, 2009

bookshelves: goodreads-author

If you're looking to experience sunny Spain, and maybe even life in a tiny village tucked in the Alpujarra Mountains, and without leaving home, then Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools is for you.

Approaching retirement, Vicky and her husband, Joe, one day decide to pack up their bags and leave their comfortable Sussex, England home and settle in the village El Hoya, Spain. It is not long before they come to learn village life is full of surprises and mishaps, with hilarious culture clashes at every turn. When Vicky and Joe unintentionally find themselves chicken farmers, Vicky says, "Oh, please! Our Spanish neighbours already thought we were insane, sitting on the yellow sofa gazing at our flock, letting them hop onto our laps, talking to them."

Whether saved by a mule or sitting at a party table in the middle of the road celebrating a neighbour's birthday (and blocking traffic), Chickens ... not only paints a warm, funny and colourful picture of rural Spain, but also tells of how two zany Brits came to fit right in. Light-hearted and full of sunshine. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools.

10/14/2016 marked as: read