Terri's Reviews > The Greatest Knight

The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick

Oct 13, 2009

Read in October, 2009

I love English monarchial history through Queen Elizabeth, and the Lion in Winter is one of my favorite movies, so any chance to learn more about the people and times of Henry II and Eleanor of Acquitaine is welcomed. Though one always has to be careful with historical fiction, or fictionized history, this story helps to flesh out the events prior to and after the events of The Lion in Winter. Henry II's son, Henry, who is already dead by the time of the movie, is a fully realized character here and the events surrounding his death and the death of Henry II are fully covered.

The only criticism I have of the book is in the writing style; the author seems to have taken grade school writing advice on using adjectives to enhance one's writing too much to heart. Every single noun is preceded by an adjective. A character cannot simply pet his horse, but must stroke the plush coat of his mount's heaving sides. This stylistic device is not subtle - it comes across as juvenile - and gets to be tedious pretty quickly (especially since she then trys to further enliven the writing by avoiding repetition of words - in a medieval novel how many times do you think you say the word armor or horse? And honestly, how many synonyms can you come up with for either? Just say horse already! We expect to see it a hundred times in a period piece).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Knight.

Ellie Revert Just watched Becket again yesterday--what a fine movie. This period of time is so interesting! Peter O'Toole as Henry II as he also is in The Lion in Winter.

message 2: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. Great review!!