David Eccles's Reviews > Six of the Best: A Hellish Half-Dozen

Six of the Best by Kevin G. Bufton

I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Kevin Bufton's debut collection of short stories features re-edited versions of stories previously included in other anthologies, and though I've not read the original versions, I can say in all honesty that reading this collection was an absolute delight!
The opening story, "Mother's Milk" is a dark look at a young mother's experience of delivering and living with a stillborn baby in an evacuated city apartment block, with no escape route and rapidly dwindling supplies. It's heartbreaking.
"The Shoot" is the story of a journalist who, while interviewing a legendary masked wrestling star who has never before given an interview, learns the truth behind the wrestler's anonymity - with dire consequences.
"53 Minutes" is an unusual zombie story, and apart from that little snippet of information, I'll say no more, because I don't want to spoil the readers' enjoyment.
"Roots" is a great tale of what could happen when trouble comes rolling your way, but it's not what you'd think!
"The Wren" would be a perfect tale for inclusion in one of the old Hammer films. It has a quality that reminds me of horror stories from the 60s and 70's which, for me, was a golden age of horror. It has a shock value comparable to "The Wicker Man".
"Hooked" is a nautical tale of a man's search for retribution over the loss of his hand, and features the zombie in its classic form. Somehow, it reminded me of "Moby Dick". Absolutely wonderful stuff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of the Best.

October 18, 2013 – Started Reading