Carmyn's Reviews > The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller

Oct 13, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2009, teaching-and-writing, books-i-own, library-books, read-in-2012, re-reads
Read in February, 2012

Before I'd even finished my library copy of this book I'd ordered my own. As a reading teacher I am always trying to find ways to ignite a love of reading in the hearts of the students I teach. Donalyn Miller describes her practice of requiring her 6th graders to read 40 books a year in her classroom. In her book Miller describes her classroom library, how she came to this approach to teaching reading, how it impacts state tests, how she shapes her teaching around the independent books, how she encourages a wide range of genre, how she provides 30 minutes every day in her 90 minute block to be devoted to silent sustained reading.

Due to my teaching situation I could never completely replicate what she does but I guess I aim to try. At least to try to adopt the bits that will work and to try to figure out a way to make some magic happen. I am working on an elective class that embraces these principles and also trying to figure out how to incorporate more of the reading choice into my other English courses -- grades 9-12.

This book was highly inspirational to me. Now I need to start exploring her blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Whisperer.

10/13/2009 page 21