preppea's Reviews > Healer

Healer by B.N. Toler

bookshelves: paranormal, romance, suspense, read-to-review, vampires, zz-reviewed, zz-i-love-this, new-adult

This exciting new take on paranormal romance deserves a resounding 5 stars and a frustrated scream that HYBRID isn't expected out until 2014!

Who forgot to tell me this was part of a series? Now I’m supposed to WAIT for book #2? Come on!!!! What are you doing to me, Ms. Toler? I need the rest of Aldo’s story and I need it YESTERDAY!

Please don’t let my ranting deter you – while there is a slight cliffhanger, HEALER is still a complete story. It’s just that it’s so freaking good that I really want to know what happens!!!!

Get ready to be on the edge of your seat and in the dark for 90% of the book. The reader follows Aldo as she tries to reconcile what she’s been told growing up about her special abilities with what she learns along the way. The beginning of HEALER goes back and forth between the past (when Aldo is 17 turning 18 and meets another healer named Thomas, the first she’s met outside of her family) and her present, where she’s searching for Thomas. Aldo has a special ability to help people who are sick, hurt, or close to death by pulling energy from a healthy person and transferring this energy into the person who is hurt. She never takes life, only helps heal those who aren’t meant for death yet. For most of her life, she’s been in hiding; moving every few years from those who would use her powers for bad, though who these people are she doesn’t know. But her aunt tells her they must be careful and she complies. Meeting Thomas changes everything for Aldo though, and she’s forced to decide who to trust: her family or her heart.

I was torn right alongside Aldo as she tries to understand what Thomas isn’t saying versus what others do say. Right when I’m sure I’ve figured a few things out, along comes Rhett, a gorgeous and mysterious man who has his own opinions about what Aldo should believe and who she should trust.

B.N. Toler does an amazing job of mixing the past and the present and keeping us in the dark without needlessly frustrating the reader. I was dying to know what was going on but it only made me unable to put the book down. I was swept up in the story, the characters, and I am in giddy anticipation of what will come in HYBRID. I only hope it comes fast because I need to know what happens to everyone I’ve come to love!!!

**Copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

**Reviewed by preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews.

photo BookieWebHeader_zps2a31d562.jpg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healer.

October 17, 2013 – Shelved