Ari's Reviews > On the Fence

On the Fence by Kasie West

bookshelves: next-door, arc-galley-or-author, favorites, sweet-romance, beloved, best-of, funny, great-books, laugh-aloud, rereading-material, ya-contemporary, standalone, mixed
Read 2 times. Last read March 6, 2017.

That's it, I found a book I want to live in.

For me this book was perfect: perfectly-awesome dynamics, perfectly-sweet romance and just a perfectly-bit of sadness to make up for the perfectly-amazing ‘giggleness’.
Yes, I am a also a ‘perfect’ dork in love with romantic stories, but what can I say? I just loved this story so very much!

And you shouldn’t simply take my words for it, so I will give you the reasons why those items on the list were so great to begin with:
1. fantastic family dynamics - from honest punishments, to love, teasing, comforting, helping.. everything was relatable, realistic and just as beautiful as any family should be.
2. best friendships – they are all so great together as friends, having fun, playing sports or just being themselves and nothing more.
3. cutest love story – I simply loved the fence scenes – their game was cute and honest :D and there were sparks, and beauty and so much fun.

Not to mention that:
- I had FUN! Tons of it!
- I laughed out loud. I giggled like a kid. I smiled until my face hurt.
- I highlighted half the book (it involved funny moments, and teasing, and some meaningful words and pretty much a lot of awesomeness). It was this great and more!

The romance is slow.. And sweet.. And it has that confusing vibe that only first loves (teenage loves) can ever give. It also happened during the entire story and it was based on friendship and trust and history – all ingredients for a great realistic and fun romance.

There is talk at some point about ‘love’ which might seem a bit too early (even though it happens near the end of the story), but it felt somehow right when I thought of it – because she loved him as a brother, as a neighbor, and afterwards she realised that her feelings were about more than just that – she loved him as a guy too.
The transition was sweet, with her discovering all the different ways she might get to act around him – noticing new things about him, blushing at times, actually making a completely fool of herself too.. And it’s true, I wanted the author to take the time and put an “I love you” line in the first pages just to enforce what I am saying here – that there was ‘love’ first in their friendship, but it worked nicely anyways. It’s just a statement, not a problem at all.

Also, there is a bit of drama, no wonder the comparison I made way up there, but it’s not gut wrenching – it’s in there more for the character’s sake than for ours. It shows how strong she becomes, how vulnerable she might be deep down, it shows how much love there is between the characters, it’s a missing piece in Charlie’s life that she needs to find in order to be complete again.

After all, “On the Fence” is a self-discovery kind of story.
Charlie lived in this bubble created by ‘the safeness of brotherhood’ (my words) and she knows that there is more to her, so she makes new (girl) friends, she goes out to meet new people, she takes a job and in time becomes more responsible (or at least she finds out that even small actions can have consequences).

CONCLUSION:

One of the very best romantic stories out there.
Keep an eye on it when it comes out this summer!

Happy midnight reading!

*Find this and more at: ReadingAfterMidnight.com
** ARC received from the publisher for review. Thank you!

___________________________________________

Pre-reading:
While waiting like crazy for 'Split Second' I will enjoy this beauty here. Oh well.. Seems like a fair trade :D

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Fence.

October 17, 2013 – Shelved
October 17, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 17, 2013 – Shelved as: soon-to-come
October 17, 2013 – Shelved as: next-door
February 7, 2014 – Started Reading
February 8, 2014 – Shelved as: arc-galley-or-author
February 8, 2014 –
19.0% "Oh boy.. this is all so cute & funny. I am a giggling mess right now ;))"
February 8, 2014 –
26.0% "I am terribly mean, I know the book will come out in around half a year, but it's so damn great so far!"
February 8, 2014 –
94.0% "♥ If I dream tonight.. I'll definitely dream of this book ♥"
February 8, 2014 – Finished Reading
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: standalone
March 6, 2017 – Started Reading
March 6, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: mixed

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Komal OMG. Lucky!
5*? Now I'm even more excited for July to come.

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari It's really wonderful!
I love it and can wait to talk about it when you get to read it too :)

message 3: by EJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

EJ Lucky luck you! I'm so jealous!

Rebecca I cannot wait to read this!! I love Kasie West's work!!

message 5: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I love Kasie's books too. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next :D

message 6: by Sonya (new) - added it

Sonya I have just finished reading Pivot Point and I LOVED it! Looking forward to reading Split Second and her contemporary novels. Great review as always, Ariana! :-D

message 7: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I loved Pivot Point too - it was so great! That and 'On The Fence' are my favourites from Kasie :D

Rebecca Gah... I cannot wait to read this!!! Superb review! Hurry up July ;)!

message 9: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari This is one of the best romances where love comes from pure friendship. I would have wanted to have a first love like this one ;))

message 10: by Nicole Payne (new)

Nicole Payne It sounds like the perfect book. Is it. ?? Xx ;)

message 11: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari For me it was ;))

Mattie I wish i was Charlie!!! :)