Sara's Reviews > Marie Antoinette's Head: The Royal Hairdresser, the Queen, and the Revolution

Marie Antoinette's Head by Will Bashor

bookshelves: arc-goodreads, own, read-in-2014, reviewed

First of all, Marie Antoinette's Head isn't really about hair.

Second of all, I'm pretty sure Will Bashor just taught me more about the French Revolution in 200-some pages than I learned in all the history classes I've ever taken.

Marie Antoinette's Head stands in stark contrast to most history books. When I think of books on the French Revolution, I think of those huge dusty books from the back room of the library that I had to read in eleventh grade English class to write research papers. I remember falling asleep after every couple pages because they were written so dryly and so impersonally that I couldn't bring myself to care about whatever king or queen I was writing about that month.

In Marie Antoinette's Head, Will Bashor not only managed to keep my attention, but he made me forget that I was learning! The book reads more like well-written historical fiction than non-fiction. The characters jumped off the page and came to life. And although I knew what the end result had to be, I felt so connected to Marie Antoinette and Léonard that my heart was pounding and I was devouring the book, hoping that she'd somehow find a way out of the mess she'd gotten herself into. I hoped that Léonard would finally get what he deserved, what he'd been promised... though I knew he wouldn't.

If you're at all interested in history, in Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution, or, yes, even hair... read this book.

Thank you to Will Bashor for the ARC!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marie Antoinette's Head.

October 16, 2013 – Shelved
February 15, 2014 –
page 48
February 16, 2014 –
page 65
21.74% "I can't get over how well-written and interesting this book is. Most of the nonfiction I've read in the past has been dry and boring. This is not. I want Will Bashor to write all history books from now on."
February 16, 2014 –
page 109
36.45% "How sassy can these 18th century royals be? Apparently pretty sassy - "I am sorry, monsieur, to have been compelled to fight with you; I never intended to win the woman with whom you are in love.""
February 17, 2014 –
page 142
47.49% "The French Revolution has always interested me, but it's so much more real in this book. I know what happens next, but Bashor has made me feel so connected to Marie Antoinette that my heart is pounding, hoping she'll find some way out of this mess she's gotten herself into."
February 18, 2014 –