Laura's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy, romance, ya

WOW. I'm sorry I just can't speak right now I'm so amazed at the awesomeness of this book. I LOVED the different POV's and you could always tell when a new POV was starting and who it was (their name was almost always in the first sentence). I don't think I've ever read an assassin book besides the Graceling series so this was definitely a refreshing change. The way it's written, wow. And the plot was just pure perfection. This book had me desperately turning pages until 2am last night. I was exhausted when I had to get up at 6am to start my day. Now THAT is an addicting book right there. And to top it all off, the main character was able to flirt with multiple people and not be committed like a lot of other heroines. A more complete review to come when I finish this series that is off to a fantastic start! 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

Quotes Laura Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

Sarah J. Maas
“How long was I asleep?" she whispered. He didn't respond.
"How long was I asleep?" she asked again, and noticed a hint of red in his cheeks.
"You were asleep, too?"
"Until you began drooling on my shoulder.”

Sarah J. Maas
“You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.”

Sarah J. Maas
“We all bear scars,... Mine just happen to be more visible than most.”

Sarah J. Maas
“No. I can survive well enough on my own— if given the proper reading material.”

Sarah J. Maas
“My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Enjoyed that, did you?" Chaol growled.
"Immensely." Celaena patted Chaol's arm as she took it in her own. "Now you must pretend that you like me, or else everything will be ruined.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Celaena," Chaol said gently. And then she heard the scraping noise as his hand came into view, sliding across the flagstones. His fingertips stopped just at the edge of the white line. "Celaena," he breathed, his voice laced with pain—and hope. This was all she had left—his outstretched hand, and the promise of hope, of something better waiting on the other side of the line.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Sometimes, the wicked will tell us things just to confuse us–to haunt our thoughts long after we've faced them.”

Sarah J. Maas
“With each day he felt the barriers melting. He let them melt. Because of her genuine laugh, because he caught her one afternoon sleeping with her face in the middle of a book, because he knew that she would win.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I wasn't going to kill him, you buffoon.”

Sarah J. Maas
“His breath was warm on her neck as he bent his head, resting his cheek against her hair. Her heart beat so quickly, and yet she felt utterly calm—as if she could have stayed there forever and not minded, stayed there forever and let the world fall apart around them. She pictured his fingers, pushing against that line of chalk, reaching for her despite the barrier between them.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I'm not married,” he said softly, “because I can't stomach the idea of marrying a woman inferior to me in mind and spirit. It would mean the death of my soul.”

Sarah J. Maas
“You have the skills,” Chaol said, “but some of your moves are still undisciplined.”
“That’s never stopped me from killing before,” she spat.
Chaol chuckled at her agitation and pointed his sword at the rack, allowing her to get to her feet.
“Pick another—something different. Make it interesting, too. Something that will make me sweat, please.”
“You’ll be sweating when I skin you alive and squish your eyeballs beneath my feet,” she muttered, picking up the rapier.
“That’s the spirit.”
She practically threw the rapier into place, and drew the hunting knives without hesitation.
My dear old friends.
A wicked smile spread across her face.”

Sarah J. Maas
“As my friend, you should either bring me along, or keep me company."
"Friend?" he asked.
She blushed. "Well, 'scowling escort' is a better description. Or 'reluctant acquaintance', if you prefer.”

Sarah J. Maas
“No matter what happens," she said quietly, "I want to thank you."
Chaol tilted his head to the side. "For what?"
Her eyes stung but she blamed it on the fierce wind and blinked away the dampness. "For making my freedom mean something.”

Sarah J. Maas
“After a too-long moment, the crown prince spoke. “I don't quite comprehend why you'd force someone to bow when the purpose of the gesture is to display allegiance and respect.” His words were coated with glorious boredom.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Nor had she missed when they zigzagged between levels, even though the building was a standard grid of hallways and stairwells. As if she'd lose her bearings that easily.

She might have been insulted if he wasn't trying so hard.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Still, the image haunted his dreams throughout the night: a lovely girl gazing at the stars, and the stars who gazed back.”

Sarah J. Maas
“She moaned into her pillow. "Go away. I feel like dying."
"No fair maiden should die alone," he said, putting a hand on hers. "Shall I read to you in your final moments? What story would you like?"
She snatched her hand back. "How about the story of the idiotic prince who won't leave the assassin alone?"
"Oh! I love that story! It has such a happy ending, too—why, the assassin was really feigning her illness in order to get the prince's attention! Who would have guessed it? Such a clever girl. And the bedroom scene is so lovely—it's worth reading through all of their ceaseless banter!”

Sarah J. Maas
“Of course." He picked up the brown bag of candy on the table. "What's your . . ." He trailed off as he weighed the bag in his hands. "Didn't I give you three pounds of candy?"
She smiled impishly.
"You ate half the bag!"
"Was I supposed to save it?"
"I would have liked some!"
"You never told me that."
"Because I didn't expect you to consume all of it before breakfast!"
She snatched the bag from him and put it on the table. "Well, that just shows poor judgement on your part, doesn't it?”

Sarah J. Maas
“We each survive in our own way.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Names are not important. It's what lies inside of you that matters.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Do you know how far the wall is from the mines?”
He gave her blank look. She closed her eyes and sighed dramatically.
“From my shaft, it was three hundred sixty-three feet. I had someone measure.”

“So?” Dorian repeated.

“Captain Westfall, how far do slaves make it from the mines when they try to escape?”

“Three feet,” he muttered. “Endovier sentries usually shoot a man down before he's moved three feet.”

The Crown Prince's silence was not her desired effect. “You knew it was suicide,” he said at last, the amusement gone.

Perhaps it had been a bad idea to bring up the wall.

“Yes.”
...
“I never intended to escape.”

Sarah J. Maas
“You're going to keep a low profile throughout the entire competition... You're going to stay solidly in the middle, where no one will look your way, because you're not a threat, because they'll think that you'll be eliminated sooner or later, and they should focus their attention on getting rid of bigger, stronger, faster champions like Cain.

'But you're going to outlast them,' Chaol continued. 'And when they wake up the morning of the final duel and find that you are their opponent, and that you have beaten them, the look on their faces will make all of the insults and lack of attention worthwhile.”

Sarah J. Maas
“He won every game, yet she hardly noticed. As long as she hit the ball, it resulted in shameless bragging. When she missed - well, even the fires of Hell couldn't compare to the rage that burst from her mouth. He couldn't remember a time when he'd laugh so hard.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I like music," she said slowly, "because when I hear it, I . . . I lose myself within myself, if that makes any sense. I become empty and full all at once, and I can feel the whole earth roiling around me. When I play. I'm not . . . for once, I'm not destroying, I'm creating.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I name you Elentiya." She kissed the assassin's brow. "I give you this name to use with honour, to use when other names grow too heavy. I name you Elentiya, 'Spirit That Could Not Be Broken.”

“Are you married?”
“No.”
She picked at her nails. “I'm not married, either.”

“You’re a girl?”
“Surprising, I know. Everyone thinks I’m older.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Can I be honest with you?" Chaol leaned closer, and Celaena leaned to meet him as he whispered: "You sound like a raving lunatic.”
Sarah J. Mass, Throne of Glass

Sarah J. Maas
“Apparently, a woman can only go so long without a sword between her hands.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Guards are of no use in a library.
Oh, how wrong he was! Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

Sarah J. Maas
“You always wear that necklace," he said. "Is it another gift?" Though she wore gloves, he glanced at her hand - where the amethyst ring always sat - and the spark died from his eyes.
"No." She covered the amulet with her hand. "I found it in my jewellery box and liked the look of it, you insufferably territorial man.”

Sarah J. Maas
“She'd survived Endovier, yet she could still laugh.”
Sarah J. Mass, Throne of Glass

October 16, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 16, 2013 – Shelved
March 7, 2014 – Started Reading
March 7, 2014 –
page 12
2.96% "I'm already hooked!"
March 11, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites