Carly Green's Reviews > The Secret of Platform 13

The Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson

bookshelves: favourites

This book has magic flowing throughout every word- I can't stress enough how much I love it. I still have the old copy from when I was very small, with my name shakily written on the inside cover. When we were asked at school what we thought heaven would be like, I simply read out Ibbotson's description of 'the island', an island with curving beaches, mermaids, hags and the all-important mistmakers. It manages to include everything a child would need to know about being good and kind, about how people are different (and there's no need to shout about it), and about how people and nature are worth more than gold or toys.
I'm 20 now and in university, and whenever I'm missing home or feeling horrible, I reread this book and immediately feel better. I'd like to thank Eva Ibbotson for giving this important part of my childhood.
Also, when this edition gets to be 19 years old, the pages go a lovely shade of yellow and it smells really, really good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Platform 13.

Finished Reading
October 16, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by She (new) - rated it 5 stars

She Reads Since you very beautifully said exactly how I experienced and feel about Eva Ibottson's "The Secret of Platform 13", I feel like we could be friends lol.