Jan C's Reviews > Speedbumps: Flooring it Through Hollywood

Speedbumps by Teri Garr

Oct 12, 2009

bookshelves: biography, california, show-biz
Read in November, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyable. Very funny at times. Also a bit on the sad side. For about the first half of the book she talks growing up in kind of a gypsy way, always traveling from here to there - her parents were old vaudevillians. And I think her mother kind of ran a rooming house in Hollywood area, where other old vaudevillians came to stay. Her mother had been a dancer and Teri started her early career that way. She talks about her movies. Other reviewers have noted that she doesn’t go into that much detail. I think she goes into enough detail.

The real point of the book is the disease and how it can be sneaky. She had one symptom of MS or another for twenty years before she was finally diagnosed. Meanwhile, there were rumors going around for all those years that she had MS which she couldn’t confirm. People asked her if she wasn’t sad or mad. I imagine it was a relief to finally get a diagnosis. That finally means that you can take some action. Eventually, they persuaded to go out on a speaking tour to tell people about MS. And she found that talking to people not only helped them to know that they weren’t alone but it also helped her.

I really like when she talked about allowing herself 20-minute pity parties. She’d set the timer and when it was up it was time to get on with things. And it’s nice to know that I am not the only one who has played FreeCell for hours at a time. Order out of chaos.

So I found it a pretty enjoyable book.

Mel Brooks called it “a lesson in courage.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speedbumps.

10/12 page 120
46.88% "Entertaining so far. But she has yet to get sick."
03/15 marked as: read

message 1: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Llera I also loved the book.She was not going to let MS stop her,period. She work way to hard to just give up. I admire her so much for that. I was sad that the men in her life took such advantage of her kindness and broke her delicate heart. Who cheats on Teri Garr? She has everything a person could want in another human. Still does! Great book very inspiring