Richard's Reviews > Dear Life

Dear Life by Alice Munro

This is Alice Munro's most recent collection of short stories. Despite the advanced years of this grande dame of Canadian literature, her narrative powers have lost none of their sharpness. This offering has a family resemblance to other works of hers which I have read in the past. The setting is often a small Canadian town where life is very humdrum and ordinary. In this environment, shocking. tragic, bittersweet and sometimes humorous events can arise. They are chronicled with a detached, often ironic and yet intense clarity. The last few stories are more autobiographical than fictional, and she reaches back into childhood days as she struggles to comprehend mysterious and sometimes baffling events unfolding around her and to deal with her rather eccentric parents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Life.

October 16, 2013 – Shelved
November 2, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed
November 2, 2013 – Shelved as: something-borrowed
November 3, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 4, 2017 – Shelved as: 2011-2018

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye She deserves her prize, even though it denied Murakami yet again. She's been diving for dear life, when we thought we were diving for pearls.

Richard Ian wrote: "She deserves her prize, even though it denied Murakami yet again. She's been diving for dear life, when we thought we were diving for pearls."

I prefer Alice Munro over Margaret Atwood any day to be honest. I'm delighted she has won the prize.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye I've only read one of each a long time ago, but it is a pretty rich heritage for one big little country.

Richard Ian wrote: "I've only read one of each a long time ago, but it is a pretty rich heritage for one big little country."

What have you read by them, Ian?

Alex I have to review this collection for a Russian publisher today, and I'm kind of scared because I want to write something that will get them hooked, to get the translation published! Nobody knows Alice over here, and it's a crime.

Richard Alex wrote: "I have to review this collection for a Russian publisher today, and I'm kind of scared because I want to write something that will get them hooked, to get the translation published! Nobody knows Al..."

Alex, it is a very good collection in my opinion. Alice specializes in excellent short stories, as you know already. I wish you the best of luck writing the review. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Richard wrote: "What have you read by them, Ian?"

message 8: by Alex (last edited Nov 03, 2013 01:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex The sad thing is that Russian publishers tend to think there's no market for short stories over here, especially in translation. They just don't sell, and they don't get published. None of them.

The publisher I work for considers this book a big risk that *might* be worth taking because of the Nobel Prize *if* the review gets them hooked.

I'll start reading in a few hours :)

Richard Alex wrote: "The sad thing is that Russian publishers tend to think there's no market for short stories over here, especially in translation. They just don't sell, and they don't get published. None of them.

T..."

Just in case, I will send you this link which may provide helpful background information:

I hope the publisher decides to take the big risk!

Richard Ian wrote: "Richard wrote: "What have you read by them, Ian?"

They were borrowed books and nothing is prompting my memory. They must have belonged to an ex-lover."

I've created an Alice Munro shelf which contains many of her books.

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex And this article is exactly the thing I need! Thank you so much!

Richard Alex wrote: "And this article is exactly the thing I need! Thank you so much!"

Glad I could help! Keep me informed about your progress.

message 13: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Will do! :)

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Richard wrote: "I've created an Alice Munro shelf which contains many of her books."

I checked the lists, but I think my memories from that time might have been cauterised.

message 15: by Laima (new) - added it

Laima I need/want to read this book, Richard. Her writing is wonderful and she really deserves the prize.

Jocelyne Lebon I enjoyed this book too, Richard. Your review makes me want to read more of her work.

Richard @ Laima: If you are an Alice Munro fan, you do indeed need to read this book. And yes, I agree, she deserves the recognition.

@ Jocelyne: I have read some of her other books already, and I hope to read everything of hers that I can get my hands on.

Richard Thanks for the like, Vikas! Hope you are doing well.

Richard Erwin, I cannot recommend Alice Munro highly enough. If you enjoy short stories, I think you will find a lot to like in her writings. (And thanks for the like.)