Nordy's Reviews > David Sedaris - 14 CD Boxed Set

David Sedaris - 14 CD Boxed Set by David Sedaris

Oct 11, 2009

bookshelves: audio, humor
Read in October, 2009

This box set includes the audio books of Sedaris's Barrel Fever, Holidays on Ice, Naked, and Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Even if you have read any of Sedaris's work, I would highly suggest listening to the audio of him reading it. There is no substitute for listening to the inflection he gives his own personal stories and the characters his sister Amy creates with her voice are awesome. Several of the stories are read live.

Some of my favorite quotes from the books:

Barrel Fever: "If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary."

Holidays on Ice: "And don't tell me, 'I don't wear underpants, I'm a dancer.' You're not a dancer. If you were a real dancer you wouldn't be here. You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf."

Naked: "We were not a hugging people. In terms of emotional comfort it was our belief that no amount of physical contact could match the healing powers of a well made cocktail."

Me Talk Pretty One Day: "On my fifth trip to France I limited myself to the words and phrases that people actually use. From the dog owners I learned "Lie down," "Shut up," and "Who shit on this carpet?" The couple across the road taught me to ask questions correctly, and the grocer taught me to count. Things began to come together, and I went from speaking like an evil baby to speaking like a hillbilly. "Is thems the thoughts of cows?" I'd ask the butcher, pointing to the calves' brains displayed in the front window. "I want me some lamb chop with handles on 'em."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Sedaris - 14 CD Boxed Set.

05/21/2016 marked as: read