Maxwell's Reviews > The Luminaries

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

bookshelves: i-own-it, 2014, man-booker

This needs no review, except to say that reading this was an experience I'll not soon forget (akin to reading The Goldfinch), and it has quickly become one of my favorite books of the year, if not of all time.

-----

Favorite Quotes::

"Some folks are dealt a bad hand. But you can't rely on another person's conscience to live the life you want to live. You make do with what you're given; you struggle on."

"For although a man is judged by his actions, by what he has said and done, a man judges himself by what he is willing to do, by what he might have said, or might have done--a judgment that is necessarily hampered not only by the scope and limits of his imagination, but by the ever-changing measure of his doubt and self-esteem."

"Prayers often begin as memories. When we remember those whom we have loved, and miss them, naturally we hope for their safety and their happiness, wherever they might be. That hope turns into a wish, and whenever a wish is voiced, even silently, even without words, it becomes a supplication. Perhaps we don't know to whom we're speaking; perhaps we ask before we truly know who's listening, or before we even believe that listener exists. But I judge it's a very fine beginning, to make a practice of remembering those people we have loved."

"True feeling is always circular--either circular, or paradoxical--simply because its cause and its expression are two halves of the very same thing! Love cannot be reduced to a catalogue of reasons why, and a catalogue of reasons cannot be put together into love. Any man who disagrees with me has never been in love--not truly."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luminaries.

October 14, 2013 – Shelved
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
March 17, 2014 – Shelved as: i-own-it
September 2, 2014 – Started Reading
September 2, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
September 2, 2014 –
page 12
1.42% "It's happening. I have no clue how long this will take me, but I'm going for it. And I'm incredibly excited."
page 53
6.25% "For how dense this novel is, it's fairly easy to read."
page 131
15.45% "So many characters."
page 239
28.18% "Can't stop. Won't stop. Jk I'm going to bed. But this is really good."
September 4, 2014 –
page 301
35.5% "Even more characters."
September 4, 2014 –
page 363
42.81% "Finished Part 1!"
September 5, 2014 –
page 523
September 6, 2014 –
page 692
81.6% "Duuuuude. This is getting intense."
September 6, 2014 –
page 723
85.26% "Oh dang."
September 6, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 16, 2014 – Shelved as: man-booker

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Medhat The Book Fanatic I just ordered the book just because of your review on Youtube, which was excellent!

Diana I agree with your review, but I did not find the quotes original. For example, the last quote you mentioned is just another way of putting Pascal's quote "The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing".