Stephanie's Reviews > The Force

The Force by Alexandra Swann

Oct 14, 2013

I love a good book with bad characters. We all love it when the good character wins, right? They can’t do that without the bad guy! The Force by Alexandra and Joyce Swann lifts up their quintessential bad guy, Josef Helmick, and places him into the center of the action. Returning from book one, Josef continues where he left off. Where there is darkness in The Force, Josef is pulling the strings. Imposing and manipulative, Josef fluctuates between his plot for world domination and his recreational killing. His character and story line will quickly change the mind of anyone who thinks Christian fiction is either boring or sanitized. Heavy topics such as alternative religions, the quest for the ability to control humanity and eternity, and familiar science fiction/thriller themes are solidly rooted throughout the book so lovers of these types of books will be pleased.

The Force moves through multiple diabolical threads with a several subplots, all highlighting the concepts of good and evil. Without issuing spoilers, I was touched with a storyline surrounding the past of character Fred. We are reminded that our actions can have long-term and even eternal consequences even when we are unaware of the results.

The actual storyline may be a work of fiction, but the themes of good and evil, sin and salvation resonate with readers because they are apparent in our world no matter what we are dealing with in our own lives. The Swanns introduce into the story in a way that we see the light at the end of the tunnel. Several times stories of the power of redemption balance out the force of the darkness and remind us that salvation is always at hand.

The bottom line is this: I enjoyed The Force immensely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Force.

October 14, 2013 – Shelved