Isaac's Reviews > Jesus' Son

Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson

21925
Oct 10, 2009

bookshelves: favorites, dirty-realism, contemporary-short-stories

Best. Story Collection. Ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus' Son.

Quotes Isaac Liked

Denis Johnson
“All these weirdos, and me getting a little better every day right in the midst of them. I had never known, never even imagined for a heartbeat, that there might be a place for people like us.”

Denis Johnson
“The traveling salesmen fed me pills that made the lining of my veins feel scraped out, my jaw ached... I knew every raindrop by its name, I sensed everything before it happened. Like I knew a certain oldsmobile would stop even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside, I knew we'd have an accident in the rain. I didn't care. They said they'd take me all the way.”
tags: film

Denis Johnson
“Will you believe me when I tell you there was kindness in his heart? His left hand didn't know what his right hand was doing. It was only that certain important connections had been burned through. If I opened up your head and ran a hot soldering iron around in your brain, I might turn you into someone like that.”

Denis Johnson
“And therefore I looked down into the great pity of a person’s life on this earth. I don’t mean that we all end up dead, that’s not the great pity. I mean that he couldn’t tell me what he was dreaming, and I couldn’t tell him what was real.”