Heather Allen's Reviews > The Bone Season

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

bookshelves: dystopian, new-adult, sci-fi

Surprisingly good. You don't hear about books with clairvoyants and the oppressive governments that hunt them and think, "Oh, this is definitely something I would pick up on my own," because that was not the case for me. It was recommended to me from a friend on the premise that the plot was so ridiculous that I had to read it (main character arrested and sent to live as a slave with "aliens"). But I was reading interviews with the author and she said she wanted to write a paranormal dystopian and she hit the target. The most difficult part was wrapping my head around this alternate history of London and the world that was built around said history. But from the get-go, I was sucked in. The pacing was fantastic. And once I realized there was a glossary in the back, I was able to get through the jargon heavy scenes with no problem. In articles about The Bone Season, it's compared to Harry Potter and The Hunger Games in terms of world-building. Shannon set up a really great premise for future books. I would read them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Season.

October 14, 2013 – Shelved
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 22, 2013 – Started Reading
October 22, 2013 –
page 114
24.46% "I'm not sure what's happening, but I like it."
October 27, 2013 – Finished Reading