Krys's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Oct 10, 2009

bookshelves: court-intrigue, fantasy, fiction, own, short-length-book, newbery-winner, first-person-narrative, read-in-2010, con-artists-thieves, intermediate-middle-grade, series-i-love, series, own-multiple-copies
Read 2 times. Last read March 10, 2010 to March 12, 2010.

I read this book for the first time four years ago. Since then I have handsold over 300 of the first book, "The Thief" and over a 100 of the sequels to customers. It's a tremendous book.

Four years later with the impending release looming of the fourth book "A Conspiracy of Kings" I decided it was time for a reread. This is a double edged sword at times in the world of books. A book that hits you so immensely at one time may not impact you as much a second time. I'm thrilled to say that this is not the case with Megan Whalen Turner's masterpiece, "The Thief".

So what makes it so great? For one thing it's tremendously written. The plot intrigue and character development is dynamic and sharp. For another thing it's about one of the greatest characters and literary inventions ever to grace the pages of a work of fantasy. Eugenides is a force, a marvel, a comic genius, a tragic clown. He is Iago and Pagliacci and Steerpike all rolled into one, yet he retains a completely likeable, quiet kind of demeanor...even though he is all ego.

Since I read this book I have developed what I call a love of the "Eugenides" character... In short, a character who is proud, and unabashedly cocky about his abilities. However, even though he is very aware of his flaws and his own limitations he figures out ways to work within those limitations, and flaunts them as if they are skills. Eugenides capitalizes off of everything he is, even if it is a con in a series of pros. He also realizes that those around him can be used as tools, even his greatest friends. Whenever I encounter this character in any work of fiction I'm immediately charmed by them. I'm not sure why that is because encountering this level of arrogance in a person usually turns me off. However, Eugenides is so well balanced that he circumvents dislike and speeds right to admiration in the hearts of the readers.

Four years later and this book still amazes me. I treasure it like few others. I'm all smiles today after the reread and hope that the sequels hold up as well. Simply amazing. Still.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

Quotes Krys Liked

Megan Whalen Turner
“... I wanted Ambiades to understand that I considered myself a hierarchy of one.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“All I wanted to do was lie in the dry grass with my feet in a ditch forever. I could be a convenient sort of milemarker, I thought. Get to the thief and you know you're halfway to Methana.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“The younger one looked to be completely useless.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Dying would have been so much easier.”

Finished Reading
February 19, 2010 – Shelved as: newbery-winner
March 10, 2010 – Started Reading
March 10, 2010 –
page 18
6.43% "rereads are good...and with this series rereads are not only necessary...but a special treat."
March 10, 2010 – Shelved as: first-person-narrative
March 30, 2010 – Shelved as: intermediate-middle-grade
October 6, 2010 – Shelved as: series-i-love
November 9, 2012 – Shelved as: series
March 23, 2017 – Shelved as: own-multiple-copies

Britt Well now I'll have to move this one up in the queue.

Krys you should. you'll read it in a day, but it's a brilliant read. Well executed and plotted, and the characters are excellent. Plus, I'm enjoying the political intrigue so much of the second book.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Very good point about the Eugenides type character. They are fairly irresistible.

Have you read The Lies of Locke Lamora? You might like Locke for similar reasons.