Alena's Reviews > How To Be a Good Wife

How To Be a Good Wife by Emma  Chapman

Wow. This debut novel is brilliantly psychotic! Marta is a wife, an empty nester, definitely on the verge of some kind of psychological breakdown; but that is just the beginning of this dark, twisted, thriller.

The author (did I mention this is a debut?) does an incredible job of keeping the reader off balance. What's the truth? Can we trust Marta's perspective? Chapman strings us along, throwing clues/mysteries down slowly until the story and the action begin to spin uncontrollably, much like Marta's mind. By the last third, my heart was raving and my house could have been collapsing around me and I wouldn't have noticed. I was just that absorbed.

And the ending?!?! Thank you Ms. Chapman for your courage.

I bought into this book completely. Fans of Gone Girl will certainly enjoy this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How To Be a Good Wife.

October 14, 2013 – Shelved
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
March 14, 2014 – Started Reading
March 16, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Jeannie This looks good.

Bloggeretterized your house could've collapsed without you knowing?! wow that good? I will have to check this one out!

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat Excellent review, Alena, I will download it today! My twisted psyche loves novels with psychotic twists, and I loved Gone Girl!

Alena I hope you all like it as much as I did.

Maureen This is teed up as #3 on my list! Thanks for such a great review my friend - can't wait to read this one :)