Nathan "N.R." Gaddis's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

bookshelves: filmed

This is just another protest Review.

Just something more to clog up your feeds.

Some folks don't want their feeds cluttered.

Some folks will tell you how property rights work.

Some folks will tell you that property rights trump speech=rights every time.

Censorship is not the suppression of free speech.

Free speech is unsuppressed ; suppressed speech is not free :: Censorship is the suppression of speech, simpliciter.

When The Commons have become private property, it's perhaps time to hope for something better ;; perhaps the Public Square should become public again -- public with the full backing of a Bill of Rights.

Please don't remind me that IN FACT I'm just a customer or just product or just a commodity. I'm a citizen and a worker, and I'll act like one.

Creative Commons License
Review of The Road by Nathan "N.R." Gaddis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: filmed
October 14, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Scribble (new) - added it

Scribble Orca and a resource. Don't forget you're a resource. with a shovel.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Scribble wrote: "and a resource. Don't forget you're a resource. with a shovel."

"A resource person" ;; Naw, I'm the UR=source!!

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis But it's not quite a 'fake' review ;; I did actually and actively watch the film last night.

Verdict :: So-so.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Oh, and pleeeease, I mean really pretty please, do not suggest that I'm somehow "married" to goodreads. It's enough to hear that "both sides are equally to blame" but to have it rubbed into an intimate relationship..... Please.

message 5: by Aubrey (last edited Oct 14, 2013 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aubrey I like the 'you're too idealistic' and the 'this is the way it is, don't rock the boat' arguments, I really do. As if reality was a perfectly precious little baby and the incorporated laws of society were anything more than the accumulation of millenia of protest. Protest that some see fit to call 'childish', citing Internet form/repetitiveness/interfering with their widdle lives.

Good times.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Aubrey wrote: "As if reality was a perfectly precious little baby and the incorporated laws of society "

You're not suggesting that reality is ideologically constituted, are you? I mean, that would bee too much "theory". ; )

I feel Zizek-on-ideology all over this conversation. Time for some Laibach :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIVgRG...

Samadrita Nathan, there's no love button for this review so I'll have to do with a 'like'. This is so much better than having to read snide remarks made in context of protest reviews.

message 8: by Aubrey (last edited Oct 14, 2013 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aubrey Theory is one of my one and only loves. So much better than stodgily built up detruis of conservative machinations, which, while admittedly is incorporated, at least in addition allows for some Molotov cocktail maneuverings.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis "What the Hell is Laibach all about?" ; three minutes with Zizek. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZl8S...

"The Final Countdown"

"Sympathy for the Devil"

Blaire This is exactly why Goodreads had to implement the new rules..for people who think the review section is their own personal blog, forum and chatbox. For those of us seeking feedback on books, this kind of thing gets very tedious.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Blaire wrote: "For those of us seeking feedback on books, this kind of thing gets very tedious. "

Tell me about it. You've been a member since June of 2012 and have written a grand=total of one (1) review. Get back to me when you've provided some feedback=on=books of your own.

I even have feed=back on The Hunger Games!!!

message 13: by Traveller (last edited Dec 24, 2013 09:12AM) (new) - added it

Traveller Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Blaire wrote: "For those of us seeking feedback on books, this kind of thing gets very tedious. "

I even have feed=back on The Hunger Games!!!"

Yep, and feedback on The Hunger Games and on 50 Shades of Grey is exactly what I'm not looking for, yet I keep getting it! ..as in SQUEEE!

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Traveller wrote: "Yep, and feedback on The ****** G**** and on 50 [redact the ugliness!] is exactly what I'm not looking for, yet I keep getting it! "

Tedious, no?

message 15: by Traveller (last edited Dec 24, 2013 09:20AM) (new) - added it

Traveller The things we have to put up with around here, where everything we read is for free! The tedium of finding unwanted info! What are we to do with this scourge of information overload, oh the tedium. And to think one actually has to PAY to read professional reviews, it's just too much to expect!

We should be getting perfect reviews, exactly the kind we wanted, delivered right at our door for free and gratis.

message 16: by Geoff (last edited Dec 24, 2013 10:38AM) (new)

Geoff Blaire wrote: "This is exactly why Goodreads had to implement the new rules..for people who think the review section is their own personal blog, forum and chatbox. For those of us seeking feedback on books, this ..."

Anyway, I'm fairly certain most users of GR do consider it their own personal blog, forum, and chatbox. That's why profiles are "personalized". That's why my name is on the stuff I review. That's why I choose the communities I participate in on this site and do not participate in others that don't appeal to me, rather then trolling on other people's threads with selfish declamations.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Geoff wrote: "You couldn't find feedback enough on the 29,129 other free reviews of The Road on this site?"

Not that I mind you saying Barthian things ;; but I hope maybe that this be the last time you need to say Those Things Which Go Without Saying on my threads in these instances ;; a school=daze friend of Barth's was taking care of answering all those Rhetorical Questions, ie, Who's to say what's real and what's not? [A:: Let me introduce you to two friends of mine, meet Plato and Aristotle.]

The above para, it goes without saying, is ruled under the sign of the "; )".

message 18: by Traveller (new) - added it

Traveller ...but, Nathan, it appears that some people actually need to see things that go without saying in black and white.

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Traveller wrote: "...but, Nathan, it appears that some people actually need to see things that go without saying in black and white."

Indeed. That's why Barth took it upon himself early in his career to say all those things which go without saying. Also, there's something about philosophy whereby it consists in saying exactly all those things which go without saying. One need only say them well. And then you see how difficult it all becomes.

message 20: by Scribble (new) - added it

Scribble Orca Good grief this is growing tedious ;)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis Scribble wrote: "Good grief this is growing tedious ;)"

Indeed. That goes without saying.... I'm just saying.