Maren's Reviews > Rock Crystal

Rock Crystal by Adalbert Stifter

Oct 10, 2009

liked it
Read in October, 2009

Adalbert Stifter's Rock Crystal is a simple story almost a parable or a fairytale except that he spends so much time detailing the life and culture of the mountains.

Stifter saves the story through is appreciation of the combined beauty and danger of nature (as expressed in the snow storm and the mountain pass). The moutain and the storm almost become characters in the story.

I was also intrigued by the tension between the Catholicism of the villagers and a sense of the divine being dwarfed by nature and nature itself as the threat against human existence which seems more akin to the sense of nature in early Nordic sagas.

I don't want to read too much into the story since is is essentially a simple tale, but I liked it more than I anticipated. My only complaint is that one should wait to read the introduction by Auden until after reading the story since he gives the plot of the story almost immediately and it ruined the sense of discovery I might have otherwise felt about the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock Crystal.

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane I bought this early in the year, after Louise recommended it, and I'm saving it for Christmas eve. Thank you for the warning about the introduction - I do wish publishers would save spoilers for afterwords.