Laura C.'s Reviews > Journey to Zion: Voices from the Mormon Trail

Journey to Zion by Carol Cornwall Madsen

Oct 10, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read August 1, 2009.

These journal entries from Mormon pioneers could not fail to move the stoniest heart. For instance we read Jane Snyder Richards’ account of sending her husband on a mission, then successively losing her newborn son, her dear friend and sister wife, and lastly her daughter in the mud and cold between Nauvoo and Council Bluffs – weather so cold her skirts froze and rattled about her ankles as she walked. She wrote at that time “I only lived because I could not die.” Yet she did not die – and made it to Salt Lake and raised a wonderful family. Since so many of the able-bodied men were in the Mormon Battalion, the women stepped up and did what had to be done. Like Martha Patterson they tied their long skirts over their shoulders, carried their shoes in one hand, and drove their oxen across the river with their other. The courage, faith, and resilience of these people have carried me through some of my own darkest days. So, so many wonderful stories: come, my Mormon friends, read and claim your heritage!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to Zion.