Rachel Brand's Reviews > Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?

Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? by Louise Rennison

Oct 10, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009, library, louise-rennison, teen-ya
Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I'm glad that I've finally finished this series, and in a way I'm pleased that Georgia and Dave got together, but I do sort of feel like I wasted some time with these books. When I started reading them at the age of 12 I really enjoyed them, and they do still have some amusing moments in them, but the last three books have just been repetitive, OTT, immature ramblings! Maybe it's that I'm too old for these books now, but thinking about it, I never behaved like Georgia and her friends when I was 15 and that's probably why I find it hard to sympathise with her. Originally, she was a fun, amusing character but now she rather annoys me, as do her friends - in fact, about 90% of the stuff in this book made me roll my eyes. Although there were a few moments that made me giggle, I was seriously unimpressed and am quite glad that this series has finally come to an end. 4/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?.

Annika You have killed me

Ilana I felt similarly. I was a preteen when I discovered these books, and round about 21 when I picked up the last in the series in paperback for my collection. Angus, Thongs, and FFS was my favorite book for ages, and I thought it was wonderful. My big sister even brought me a copy published in Australia. I picked up and incorporated lots of Georgia-speak into my everyday life as well. As the books got farther into the series, I felt there were lots of issues with continuity, plus the plot got thin. A few books towards the end, what with Angus' unbelievable recovery (though I was older I cried when he got hit, but in the next novel he was right as rain as if it had never happened), Masimo's regression to pathetic and needy, and Georgia and Dave not getting together until 3 pages from the end of the series, I was less than amused. Unfortunately, I outgrew them before they were all out. I can still enjoy the first four or so books in the series though, so it can't just be that.

Needless to say, I passed on the new series, starring Georgia's cousin or whatevs. With her humor and wit, I'd be happy to explore if Rennison ever chose to write some chick lit adult novels though.