Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Rose Under Fire

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth E. Wein

Oct 13, 2013

Just when you think you've seen and read all the possible ways to experience WWII, you find a brilliant gem like this one. This book is a spin-off from Code Name Verity, which was another excellent WWII book that excels in depicting the bond of female friendship...very strong young female pilots. Wein hits below the belt again with more female pilots, but this time our protagonist, Rose, falls into the hands of the Germans and is held at Ravensbruck, a concentration camp, and befriends a group of "Rabbits", or girls who were part of the Nazi medical experimentation. It was tough to read some of these chapters...they are unflinching and horrifying, yet the friendships are precious, and the characters steely strong. The small acts of defiance, Rose's exquisite poems that she writes while suffering starvation, beatings and the freezing cold, the girls' daydreams of beaches, brave rescues and bikinis...it was almost a near perfect reading experience for me. My only disappointment was that there was no follow-up on Irina, one of Rose's friends who escapes the camp. Now I'm wondering...could the next book be about her?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rose Under Fire.

October 13, 2013 – Started Reading