♦Jennifer♦'s Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Oct 09, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Recommended for: fans of greek mythology

The Lightning Thief was fast, fun, and a great read. There was tons of Greek mythology in this book. Some I've heard of, and others not so much. So I feel like there was a small educational element to this book as well.

When twelve year old trouble maker Percy Jackson finds out that he is a half-blood(child born to a mortal and god) of one of the most powerful Gods on Mount Olympus everything that he thought he knows about life changes. And if that isn't enough, someone is trying to frame him for stealing from Zeus. Throughout the book you follow Percy and his friends as he attempts to clear his name and save those that are dearest to him.

The plot moved at a steady pace. There was a different Greek myth waiting for him at every turn, and it was fun to watch him and his companions try and get out of trouble.

Percy is really mature for his age. When I was twelve I was just coming out of my powerpuff girls faze.Percy, on the other hand, is battling monsters, and dealing with life and death. He has expectations the size of Mount Olympus thrown on him and he handles it remarkably well. Other than that though, he is like any other preteen boy.

Annabelle is another half-blood who helps Percy with his quest. She is the brains of the operation. She pretty much knows all of the myths, and her knowledge is helpful in saving them countless of times. I liked Annabelle well enough, and I really felt for her with her family troubles.

I think I liked Grover the best. He did hapless side kick really well. Grover's a satyr that is supposed to be a protector to Percy. Although more often than not it's Percy protecting Grover. But Grover holds his own, and more than makes up with it in his bumbling way.

Overall, I think that I would recommend this book to anybody with a love for Greek Mythology. This is especially a great book for kids, and think they would really love the world that's created. However, that doesn't mean that adults won't enjoy this as well. There was a lot of action, and a small amount of mystery. Enough to keep anybody interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

October 9, 2009 – Shelved