S.J. Hollis's Reviews > Sorcerers of the Nightwing

Sorcerers of the Nightwing by Geoffrey Huntington

20939889
Oct 13, 2013

bookshelves: fantasy, ya, middle-grade, netgalley, paranormal, favorites

I chose to read Sorcerers of Nightwing because of the spooky cover and the mention of a haunted mansion in the blurb. Halloween was approaching and I like to get into the spirit of things by watching sanity-curdling films, listening to Black Sabbath and hissing “GET OUUUUUT” through my neighbours’ air vents. When I got my copy, I promptly lit some gothic candles (ignoring the blazing sunshine outside) and spent an entire day searching for my Headless Cross album.

You can probably tell, I was expecting to like this book. And I did. More than that, when I spend an entire day in my pyjamas without tweeting, washing, or eating anything but cheesy Wotsits, it means I loved it.

Sorcerers of Nightwing is a Young Adult book, so don’t expect anything horrifically frightening, but it has what so many paranormal books lack: atmosphere. The descriptions of Ravenscliff are vivid, ambient and fun. The thunder and lightning should be a tacky cliché, but it somehow works. Spooky and mysterious, Ravenscliff is an awesome place that I wish was real. I wanted to explore it with Devon, sneak into the East Wing with him, candle flickering, bravado turned on but fully prepared to run like a Whippet and leave him behind should anything white and floaty turn the corner.

The main protagonist, Devon March, is a nice lad who I didn’t want to slap even once (A true miracle). I felt intensely sorry for him, and even a little bit protective. He’s suffered a trauma or two, but he’s not the wallowing sort or the bad boy rebel type. He’s just a young boy trying to get on and work out who he is and what his place is within Ravenscliff. His character was a refreshing change from the usual emo stereotype. Hey, I loved Harry Potter and still wear my Gryffindor scarf on cold days but, wow, that kid could whinge.

Sorcerers of Nightwing is well-written with a narrative that flows and a plot that is well-paced, mysterious and absorbing. It’s definitely more of a story-based book than romantic-based. I hate it when a romance takes over a perfectly good story. Keep that for an actual romance novel. I came for spooky sobbing and the creepy caretaker, and those things I got. I loved this book. It was a great concept with well-written characters, awesome storytelling and a wicked shock ending. I look forward to the next book in the series.

I received a copy of the ebook through NetGalley in return for an honest review. Much thanks to Diversion Books.

Reviews @ S J Hollis - unreliable narrator, bad spella http://sjhollis.blogspot.co.uk/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorcerers of the Nightwing.

October 13, 2013 – Shelved
October 13, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: ya
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: middle-grade
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: netgalley
October 17, 2013 – Started Reading
October 18, 2013 –
10.0% "VERY good, yes yes. I feel an excited book-squeak coming on."
October 18, 2013 –
34.0% "Wow, okay, still loving this. I think Sorcerers of Nightwing might be a 5 squeak book!"
October 18, 2013 –
61.0% "This book is Appomattox (I actually typed spooktastic but the Kindle Fire loves to put words in my mouth, and Appomattox sounds rather highbrow so I thought I'd leave it.)"
October 19, 2013 – Finished Reading
October 21, 2013 – Shelved as: paranormal
November 19, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue Smith I agree with your analogy that some of these YA characters you just want to slap silly! Sounds like a good book to check out so thanks for the recommendation!

S.J. Hollis Sue wrote: "I agree with your analogy that some of these YA characters you just want to slap silly! Sounds like a good book to check out so thanks for the recommendation!"

You're welcome! It's refreshing to find a YA book that tells a good story rather than relying on love triangles and tantrums to entertain!

message 3: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Great review! Thanks for the recomendation - this sounds like a great read :)

S.J. Hollis Lucinda wrote: "Great review! Thanks for the recomendation - this sounds like a great read :)"

You're very welcome! It's good ol' fashioned storytelling.

message 5: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Chiossone Wow, great review, I'm now very intrigued and will be getting this to read, thanks for recommendation xx

S.J. Hollis You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it! (and I've just today noticed that it is quite cheap on Amazon at the moment)