Akoss's Reviews > The Last Enchanter

The Last Enchanter by Laurisa White Reyes

Oct 12, 2013

bookshelves: all-mg, arc-for-review

After I was done reading book 2 of the Celestine Chronicles, all I could think was "holy molly", over and over. It was hard to put my thoughts in order for a somewhat coherent review. All I want to say is "read this like NOW!" but I'm going to tell you what I enjoyed about it.

I would like to start with a small disclaimer. Book one had 14 years old characters and some crush, but it was easy for me to still categorize it as middle grade. This time around they are either 15 or pretty close to be (or older) and there was a kiss on the lips. That's where I personally draw my line and that's where a middle grade becomes a young adult for me (plus you have the age thing). So, since the series started on the high end of middle grade they are now moving into low young adult. I'm not complaining at all, just clarifying.

Alright, now for some gushing.
Let's talk about the stakes. They were so high in this book because people kept secrets, got betrayed, assassinated, imprisoned, thrown into an arena and so much more. It was hard to distinguish true allies from possible traitors and emotions ran pretty high, especially with Marcus.
Marcus who discovered more about his supposedly deceased mother in book one, now had a lot more on his plate. He had to travel into a very dangerous territory were fortunately he made some surprising allies. He needed to uncover more about his mother and hopefully in the process unmask the person who assassinated King Frederic. While all that was ongoing he found himself struggling with strong emotions of jealousy, love and pride.
I was hoping to get to know Kelvin a bit more but he became quite distant once he was the new King.
Jayson was his usual self, if not a bit more human and less Agoran.

The setting didn't change too much except for the introduction of Groc territory which added another layer of danger and darkness to their journey.

Things happened pretty fast and the urge to know who did what or when the characters were going to catch the bad guy(s) made this an absolute page turner.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Enchanter.

October 12, 2013 – Started Reading