Michelle's Reviews > The Lace Reader

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

it was ok
bookshelves: i-own

I suppose I'll have to re-read this book. Someday, far off in the future when I'm no longer in such a snit over it.

You see, in its first pages the narrator tells us she's a liar as if that's some sort of excuse or warning. I've read books like that before, and it's exhausting. I would spend so much time trying to root out the lies and read between the lines as I went and it just got so cumbersome that I hated the book. So this time around, I just went with it, taking the narrator to have at least a couple shards of truth, basic plot lines to be true but that the details were wrong. Nope. Not this book. All the plot lines were absolutely false, in many many ways. Congratulations, Brunonia Barry (as if that's an actual name, hmph), you have managed to pull the wool over my eyes. Mission accomplished, take a bow, yadda yadda. But guess what? I'm just going to file this main character away as schizophrenic and I'm not going to waste another moment of my day wondering about the intricacies...was she really schizophrenic or did she have an imaginary friend or multiple personalities or whatever.

Because guess what? I don't care enough about this character to give any more energy to it. That, and I've spent enough time BTH dealing with my own Cal and more than enough time ATH trying to get away from the fallout.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lace Reader.

October 9, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
October 19, 2009 –
page 168
43.08% "Maybe it's my fever, or maybe it's the writing, but I'm sleepy."
October 19, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Suey Wow! What a reaction! I wish I sometimes had more passionate negative feelings about books. I'm much to easy to please I think. But I am sorry you didn't like it.