Adrianna's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Oct 09, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, suspense, swedon, in-eureka
Recommended to Adrianna by: Booksamonth
Recommended for: Mystery Lovers

I had mixed feelings about what type of a rating I should give this book purely based off my disappointment with the end of the novel, which I won't spoil in my review.

Overall, I enjoyed the mystery. I couldn't solve the ultimate puzzle, which always fascinates me since I consider myself an amateur sleuth when it comes to mystery novels. In retrospect, I fear I was too engrossed in the book to pay enough attention to the clues that would help me solve the puzzles. As a reader, though, I appreciate authors who give me opportunities to solve the crime along with the main characters.

As for Mikael Blomkvist, he was an interesting choice for the lead protagonist and detective of the mystery. His character reminded me of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon. He was the epitome of journalists, a real diamond in the rough.

However, the character who really made the novel enjoyable was Lisbeth Salander. She was tough, quirky, and different. Regardless of whether you thought of her as a protagonist or antagonist, she made Blomkvist seem like an old man. Nonetheless, they created a unique partnership in the book that allowed them to be a crime-fighting duo purely because of their differences. In fact, all the characters developed nicely based on their interactions with each other throughout the year in which the novel takes place.

After the prologue, the beginning of the book is slow. I was a bit confused by the setting because I am unfamiliar with Sweden's governmental system. I couldn't help but wish I had conducted a preliminary reading about the country before tackling the novel. In fact, the book didn't start to engage me until about chapter 4 when Blomkvist meets with Henrik Vanger. Again, the two characters contrasted nicely and made the story more engaging. In fact, the entire Vanger family added important elements to the story that complicated the mystery.

By the end of the novel, though, I was disappointed with all the characters. At first, I thought I could relate to some of them, either because of their past histories or their insistence on justice and freedom. Unfortunately, the ending left no warm feelings for any of the characters. They were all selfish. Perhaps it was my own fault for building the characters to be something they weren't, but I was sorely disappointed that there were no redeeming qualities.

October 1, 2009 – Started Reading
October 9, 2009 – Shelved
October 9, 2009 – Shelved as: mystery
October 9, 2009 – Shelved as: suspense
October 13, 2009 –
page 380
81.72% "Wow...some parts of the mystery I figured out...yay for me! That's the best part of reading a mystery, getting to be a master sleuth!"
October 17, 2009 – Finished Reading