Kelly Reid's Reviews > Disciplined Entrepreneurship

Disciplined Entrepreneurship by Bill Aulet

U 50x66

SO, two things:

1) I met Bill at a lecture in Chicago put on by some MIT alumni. I got the book (much like some waffle fries) FOR FREE. I feel the need to disclose this so people don't think I'm shilling for Bill's book, and to kind of nerdbrag a little bit.

2) I stopped reading about 25% of the way through. Why? Because my business is not at the stage where I need his RIDICULOUSLY THOROUGH guidance. I wish I had this 3 years ago. So, I stopped reading because I am going to give it to someone else who will put it to use RIGHT NOW. I skimmed/speed read most of the rest.

That said, the parts I focused on were great. It has a lot of shades of "Startup Owners Manual" and "Lean Startup", which makes sense consdiering those are two seminal tomes of the Entrepreneurship world.

The book is presented beautifully. It's a combination of a graphic novel, coffee table book, and a technical manual. Leave it to MIT to make that work! It's punctuated by cartoons (tastefully, not cheesy) and visualizations. The production quality is top-notch.

I will loan any of my friends my copy, if you promise three things:

1) WRITE ALL OVER THE BOOK. Marginal notes, sketches, commentary, highlights, circles, dog-ears....beat it up. My books are a living library. They contain notes from the people I've lent to, as well as my own.

2) USE THE KNOWLEDGE OR GIVE IT BACK. No jokers. No paperback cowboys.

3) RETURN IT TO ME --OR-- pass it along to someone else who will abide by these rules and then return it back to you (or me).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disciplined Entrepreneurship.

October 12, 2013 – Started Reading