Maria Grazia's Reviews > Jawbreaker - Unlock the (U)niverse

Jawbreaker - Unlock the (U)niverse by Jolene Stockman

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, read-in-2013, ya

Teenagers aren’t the easiest people you can find yourself dealing with. It’s the word of an expert, meaning someone with long-lasting experience not someone with an answer to any question. As a teacher to teenagers, I’m still and continuously looking for answers, tips and suggestions to help me cope with their complexity. This is why I found this little book (17,000 words), which is meant to help teenagers, quite helpful to myself and my purpose.

The Jawbreaker: Unlock the (U)niverse by Jolene Stockman is a guide aimed at leading young adults to self –awareness and self-confidence with a step-by-step analysis of their most common attitudes to themselves, to others and to life in general ( You, Change, Knowing, The Glow), which also includes a set of practical exercises and activities (Mind Games) targeting single specific goals.

“You are a million moments. You have created yourself bit by bit and layer by layer, every day since you were born. You are a jawbreaker” … This is the starting point, a really spot on image chosen by the author. She wants the readers to figure themselves out like jawbreakers. And jawbreakers are sweet, colourful but really hard to break. I found it a brilliant metaphor.
Honestly, I think this book might help any reader, not only demographic audience, to build up their strength and it might show them their own story in a whole new way. Try it yourself!

“You can help others in the world more by making the most of yourself than in any other way” (Earl Nightingale)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jawbreaker - Unlock the (U)niverse.

Finished Reading