Sophie's Reviews > The Child of Denys

The Child of Denys by Nicole Gillette

liked it

[review also posted on my blog http://beentherereadthatreviewedthebo...]

The Child of Denys was a fun book, leading younger readers into an enchanting world where your cat actually talks to you (and let’s face it, what cat-owner hasn’t imagined what it would be like if their cat actually spoke to them!?).

The premise of this book was good. Nicole Gillette wrote a short, fast paced story with an interesting fantasy element as the main character Katie is The Child needed to save the Dream Realm.

My issue with The Child of Denys wasn’t really related to the actual story itself. I thought the book was very enjoyable, and the story was a fresh idea which would appeal to the young people it’s aimed at.

However, there were a lot of problems with grammar and the odd spelling that affected the flow of the book for me. Had this had a bit of a rework, I feel it would have strengthened the book in what was an entertaining story formatted not very well.

Also, for me personally, I was a little bit torn on the length of the book. Whilst I did love that the pacing was fast, as the anticipation and adventure was made all the more entertaining, I felt it was harder to connect with characters like Katie’s family and her best friend because we find out so little about them.

Despite this, these are probably only the type of things someone a little older than the targeted readership would pick up on. The Child of Denys, overall, was a sweet book with likeable characters. The fantasy element added some intrigue to the plot and the main themes presented, trust and friendship, resulted in a book which Nicole Gillette has made worthwhile and inspiring for young readers.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Child of Denys.

October 11, 2013 – Shelved