Nick Ivey's Reviews > Brutal Youth

Brutal Youth by Anthony Breznican

I have been an an avid reader for years and this book is one of those rare pieces, in this age of trilogies, that you actually want for a sequel when you get to the end of the story. Mr. Breznican does a wonderful job of building characters that you cheer for one second and against the next. This being his first outing he does a great job weaving a storyteller like feel to this novel, you almost feel as your reading it that your sitting with a friend or family member who is recalling a set of memories. It has that sense of comfort to it, which is not to say it is a comfortable book to read, I often thought of it as a Greek tragedy with moments of farce in it, but honestly that doesn't even accurately describe it.
The story takes place in Saint Micheal's a run down high school that the is so well detailed it actually seems to be a character in and of itself, you quickly learn this is not your average Catholic school, it is a nasty, cliquish, place where everyone is out for themselves and will stab you in the back in a second just to make themselves feel better for a second..then there are the students who are even worse. That is not to say there are not likeable characters here, because there are. I felt an odd sense going through the book because I wanted so much for Stein, Davidek, Lorelei, Hannah or any one of the many students to prove themselves to be a whole person but they could not. They didn't have it in them, they all shine in their own ways and at separate times I found myself my rooting for and against almost all of them. That is the beauty of what Mr. Breznican created here, the people are real. They are mean, vicious, loving, they have a background, they make you care and in the end they make you want to read more from them.
The few flaws in the book are negligible, a couple of the big secrets seemed to me to a little obvious but he made up for that by even making one of those reveals spin a different direction than you think it will. Again truly I for one hope he does a sequel because I really want to see what happens when Davidek after all of the fall out from the end of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brutal Youth.

October 11, 2013 – Shelved