Rachel Hartman's Reviews > Liar & Spy

Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

I have many librarian friends who raved endlessly about When You Reach Me, and then found Liar and Spy kind of a let-down afterwards. It was with this in mind that I decided I should read Liar and Spy first, to give it a chance NOT to disappoint me.

Boy, was I ever NOT disappointed.

In fact, I love this book with all my (admittedly shrivelled) heart. If When You Reach Me really is that much better... well, maybe I shouldn't read it. Maybe it would make me give up writing in despair.

A little caveat first: this book is very quiet and small. Very quiet. Very small. If you're not into quiet books, you can say to yourself, "Well, at least it's small!" You can read it in an afternoon, even if you are an abysmally slow reader like myself.

Here's where it's awesome: theme. Everything fits and interweaves and interplays so beautifully. It's like a Bach fugue -- a really quiet one. Not that the pipe organ lends itself to quiet. Even the simple fact that Georges's name has a silent "s" at the end resonates with the theme. It's about the known and the unknown, the things we can and can't, do and don't perceive. The lies we tell and the things we refuse to see. Even the title plays into that.

My god it's like a beautiful painting, and I could stare at it for hours. I am gnawing my own wrist with envy, which I realize is maybe not the cleverest thing I ever did.

Read it. Love it. I might not ever get around to When You Reach Me. I might not be able to handle it. We shall see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liar & Spy.

Finished Reading
October 11, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Vinnie (new)

Vinnie Tesla You type impressively well while gnawing at your wrist.

Rachel Hartman LOL, well, I've had some ulnar nerve trouble in my forearms, so I had to learn to type with my toes.

Todd Glaeser You always seem to read such interesting books! I've really begun to follow your reviews!

Heather Hopkins Roberts Great review! I read When you reach me first and was Not disappointed by this book!

Melissa Menten I would write a review, but you have said everything I might say much more eloquently. Do read When You Reach Me-more of the same beautiful writing!

message 6: by Cinnamon (new)

Cinnamon I just finished When You Reach Me and loved it. If you haven't already read it, you definitely should.

message 7: by Aliesha (new)

Aliesha sanders This sounds like a good book and also I really liked your review