Laura's Reviews > Bigger Than the Game: Restitching a Major League Life

Bigger Than the Game by Dirk Hayhurst

5920273

liked it

I've enjoyed Dirk Hayhurst's previous books, "The Bullpen Gospels" and "Out of My League." Both were interesting and insightful glimpses into the goings-on behind the scenes of both minor and major league baseball clubs - the day-to-day minutiae of long bus rides, accommodations, per diems, and adjusting to a constantly changing roster of co-workers. I love baseball, and I especially love the stories behind the game.

This book fell short for me, however. The first few chapters where Hayhurst writes about his injury and his subsequent depression and anxiety were heart-wrenching. Working on finding his way back to baseball while trying desperately to hide his real emotions from his teammates and trainers - these chapters were well-written, and I'm sure they were difficult for him to write about. Towards the end, the long chapters with a nun, a wrestler, and his new trainers (I'm not sure what happened there, I skimmed those chapters) seemed to be more of a "you had to be there" situation and they didn't move the story forward.

I understand that Hayhurst was a baseball player/writer. He wrote about what went on in the locker rooms, the hotels, etc. His teammates were understandably skittish about this, not knowing if or how they might be portrayed in these books. Much of the book went in a circle of "I promise I'm not going to write about you," yet if these exchanges went into the book, weren't those promises broken? Even if names were changed, the people he promised not to write about surely knew they were being portrayed - the details were too fine and specific. In the end, I had a weird feeling that I was looking into the lives of Hayhurst's teammates in a "TMZ" kind of way - they didn't want to be in the book, but there they were.

This book felt a bit rushed and thrown together, like maybe there was a deadline to meet. I recommend his first two books, not so much this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bigger Than the Game.

October 11, 2013 – Shelved