Kate Sherwood's Reviews > Friends Without Benefits

Friends Without Benefits by Penny Reid

did not like it

I forced myself to finish.

I bought this one after reading the first chapter or two of the previous book in the series. After finishing that book I had some reservations, but I charged on.

I wish I hadn't. The heroine is supposed to be smart, but she acts like an idiot. The hero is supposed to be funny, but literally the only way I could tell when he was making an oh-so-hilarious joke rather than just engaging in typical romance-novel banter was that someone would tell him how funny what he just said was. Really?

The heroine is supposed to be strong and determined to be independent. So she allows her boss to mess up her residency rotation and work literally 'round the clock for four full weeks, without saying a word about it. She lets the hero's mom manipulate her. She lets her friends off the hook when they make really controlling, manipulative decisions on her behalf. And of course she lets the hero push her around, including letting him dictate the location of the medical treatment of his niece (and as IF a medical trial wouldn't be conducted under the most controlled conditions possible!). Neither the heroine nor the author seem to think that there's anything wrong with the hero insisting that the treatment happen in an apartment rather than the hospital, then having him corner the heroine in the apartment while he's wearing only underwear and repeatedly refusing to let her leave when she asks.

I do NOT understand what is romantic about ignoring the requests of the person you're supposed to love. I suppose it's kind of justified in this case since the heroine is so clearly a total idiot, but then why keep calling her intelligent?

I found this book REALLY frustrating!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friends Without Benefits.

Finished Reading
October 11, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Danielle I agree. I am having a really hard time getting thru this book. The heroine is annoying the crap out of me! I'm about 55℅ done and almost ready to flounce.....ugh!

Desi I was really taken aback by than infusion in the home thing too. I thought it sounded like a terrible idea. Hygienically alone. Nico really wasn't big enough of a star to justify that level of accommodation as well. Heroine was just stupid. She exhausted me. Don't know how Nico managed to bear with her.

message 3: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Sherwood Desi wrote: "I was really taken aback by than infusion in the home thing too. I thought it sounded like a terrible idea. Hygienically alone. Nico really wasn't big enough of a star to justify that level of acco..."

I hear you.

message 4: by Jodie (new)

Jodie I'm a little behind but I think this review may have just made my mind up not to continue with this series. I am struggling to get thru the second book (i'm not a janie fan, think i'm the only one) and I'm not one to dnf. I really only started this series because I loved Elements of Chemistry and wanted to go on and read Truth or Beard. Kinda not sure what to do, but if this one is like the first do, i may not finish this series :-/

message 5: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Sherwood Jodie wrote: "I'm a little behind but I think this review may have just made my mind up not to continue with this series. I am struggling to get thru the second book (i'm not a janie fan, think i'm the only one)..."

I'm hyper-sensitive to overbearing behaviour from heroes, so it was really hard for ME to enjoy this book. Obviously other people have liked it a lot more than I did!

message 6: by Jodie (new)

Jodie I'm not a fan of heroes like that either. Think I might put this series aside. Just can't get into it like I other series

message 7: by Didi (new)

Didi Sotubo Thank God, I kept seeing 5 stars for this it had me wondering if I was the only that thought the heroine was annoying, but obviously I'm not.

message 8: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Sherwood Didi wrote: "Thank God, I kept seeing 5 stars for this it had me wondering if I was the only that thought the heroine was annoying, but obviously I'm not."

Obviously some differences of opinion on this one!

KimberlyRose These Knitting books are a mixed bag, that's for sure. I loved the quirky voice of book one, couldn't even finished book three it was so boring, was meh interested in this one and now nope-not-interested in this one after reading your review, but I'm currently reading the fourth one, and it's fantastic! Mixed bag of yarn quality.

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Sherwood Kimmy wrote: "These Knitting books are a mixed bag, that's for sure. I loved the quirky voice of book one, couldn't even finished book three it was so boring, was meh interested in this one and now nope-not-inte..."

So, kind of appropriate then!

Curly Carla Celebrity Readers I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't love this book. It was okay, but not great.

Aisha Alli I literally feel like we didn't read the same book lool.

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Sherwood Aisha wrote: "I literally feel like we didn't read the same book lool."

Sometimes that happens... And clearly you aren't the only one who enjoyed what I didn't!

Konnie This book was absolute torture! Wish I saw this review as we are in the same boat but obviously a different boat from everyone else reviewing here!!

message 15: by Rush (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rush Cam I am really trying to finish this book. I am very confused by the persons who have given a high rating. Are they reading something else??